Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Some quick (simple) technical advice please

Author Topic: Some quick (simple) technical advice please
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

Haven't posted in . . . a while - but it seems like ages! Hope everyone is in good health and had a good Christmas and New Year celebration.

Right, down to business:

I'm having rather annoying PC problems and am thinking of some drastic action - like reformatting my HDD and starting again. Thing is I don't want to loose all of my date (which is backed-up) so I thought "what about a second HDD with a newer OS?" Well?

I can get one (HDD & OS), that's no problem - my questions are:

1) When I've plugged the new HDD in and installed a different OS to my Win Me (yeah I know, it's crap), will it interfere/be compatible with my other HDD?

2) With two HDDs, can I choose which one I boot up to/which is primary?

3) Can I transfer "My Documents" from the old HDD to the new without having to copy to CD first?

4) Will there be a problem with having both HDDs capable of accessing the Internet with modem drivers installed on both?

Please forgive me if these questions sound dumb and pathetic - I'm not technically minded. Provided my PC boots up, lets me play games and access the Net I'm a happy boy. [Big Grin] Your expert advice is greatly appreciated!

-AK
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) No/Yes
2) Yes/Yes
3) Yes
4) No

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick and simple advice:

1) Reformat.
2) Reboot.
3) Reinstall.

Repeat untill the problem goes away.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although if you do that, you have to make sure that you have all the CDs to hand with the software on that you need.

And all the drivers for your hardware.

And all the tools, bits & bobs that you've downloaded from the internet.

And make sure that you've backed up all your documents, and emails, and stuff.

Of course, if you don't want to waste a weekend, and you have the means:

1/ Get Windows XP. There really is no other operating system you should even consider for a PC.

2/ Get a new hard drive. Plug it in as the secondary one. Make sure the jumpers are set to primary on your current one, and secondary on the new one, and make sure they are on the same ribbon.

3/ Boot up ME. Put in the XP installation disc. Run it. It will offer to install XP to a different partition/hard drive. Do so.

4/ Go and make tea or something while XP installs.

5/ When it's finished, it will autoatically set up a boot screen for you, so that when the computer loads up, it will ask if you want to use ME or XP.

6/ Load up XP, and just drag the "my documents" folder across to the new hard drive. Do the same for every other file that you use, since the new hard drive (should) be quicker. Reinstall all your software.

7/ Sit back and enjoy a (relatively) stable operating system.

The only problem with this is that your new hard drive will be unaccessable from ME, since you will have (should have) formatted it as NTFS, rather than FAT32. XP can still see the ME hard drive. And it doesn't matter anyway, since you will never ever use ME again, and in a few months you will wonder why you've kept it, since all it's done it cause the XP hard drive to be called "D" instead of "C".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone! I knew that I could count on my fellow Flare members for technical assistance, although Styrofoaman - I want to avoid your suggestion as I don't want to loose the data, fart about with making CDs and want to upgrade the HDD and the OS to the XP that I have ::cough:: purchased. [Big Grin]

Cartman - just the short answers that I was hoping for - nice one! [Big Grin]

PsyLiam - just the slightly more detailed answers that I was hoping for - now at least I won't destroy my PC in the process of installing the shiny new HDD! [Big Grin]

If I have any more problems be sure that I'll be back, but I think that an OS upgrade might just solve my modem connection problems (here's me crossing my fingers) as my sister's XP laptop doesn't have the same troubles as mine (just different ones [Wink] ) and my parents Win 98 PC.

Cheers!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Get Windows XP. There really is no other operating system you should even consider for a PC."

What are you, a Microsoft commercial?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, a realist. Although I was talking in terms of MS only operating systems there, in case there are crazy people who still think that 98 is better, or something.

Yeah, I know of Linux. But let's be serious for a minute, eh? The lad thinks that having two hard drives with modem drivers on could destroy the world. Giving him Linux would be like giving anti-immigration nukes to Daily Mail readers. Besides, I assume that he actually wants to run software.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Member # 557

Well just a little note to let you know I'm back up and running! [Big Grin]

I actually ended up reformatting the HDD as I couldn't be bothered to get a second one (but still plan to). Found out that my problem was a dying modem - now replaced. Hey-ho! I get to start afresh and my PC is healthier for it.

Thanks for all your help and advice - I'll keep it for when I do get a new HDD. [Wink]

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Modems. Who uses them anyways?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, everybody? B)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Not John Conner.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you typed that with an Austrian accent.

quote:
like giving anti-immigration nukes to Daily Mail readers.
Have you had a bad experience with a daily Mail reader recently? Given that you're still alive, I assume you didn't make his house price fall...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

*rim shot*

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps