Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Digital Cameras (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Digital Cameras
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So a 3 megapixel camera has a maximum resolution of 2048 x 1536, right? The maximum size of a 4 megapixel camera (or at least, MY 4 megapixel camera) is 2272 x 1704. Er, anyone want to do some maths and figure out what the DPI would be on them at, say, 7 x 5?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming an ideal DPI of 300, a 7x5 would need to be around 2100 x 1500, around the realm of three megapixels give or take.
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is all the info I could find on the Kodak DX4330 that I have. Hope this helps.

Amazing Picture Quality

CCD resolution 3.3 megapixel (2242x1473 pixels)
image resolution 3.1 megapixel (2160x1400 pixels)
image quality 3.1 MP - best (print, enlargement)
2.2 MP - better (small print)
0.8 MP - good (e-mail)

aperture f2.8-5.1
lens 38 mm-114 mm
zoom 10X
3X optical
3.3X Advanced digital

focus distance 3.7 m (2 ft.) to infinity
macro/close-up mode .07-.7 m (2.8-28 in.)
lens protection lens cap tethered to body
exposure control multi-pattern TTL/AE with program modes (standard, macro, landscape, sport, night, movie)
shutter speed 1/2-1/1700 sec.
flash mode automatic, fill, red-eye, off
flash range 0.6-3.4 m (2.0-11 ft.)
ISO equivalent automatic (120-200)
magnify 2X and 4X in review
white balance automatic
sharpness automatic
multi-zone AF automatic
matrix metering automatic

High Performance Features

display 45.6 mm (1.8 in.) indoor/outdoor display
scene/other modes standard, landscape, night, sports, macro
movie capture video and audio capture and playback on camera
exposure compensation +/-2 in 0.5 step increments
long time exposure up to 4 seconds
storage internal storage: 16 MB internal memory
external storage: SD/MMC removable card slot

Sophisticated Simplicity

image file format JPEG/EXIF v2.2
capture mode automatic - always ready
auto-orientation on-camera picture rotation
delete dedicated delete button
viewfinder real-image optical viewfinder
share Share button
software KODAK EASYSHARE Software
interface USB, KODAK EASYSHARE Camera Dock compatible; audio/video connectors
video out NTSC, PAL (user-selectable)

Other Specifications

DC in DC-in jack on side of camera for 3V adapter
tripod mount 1/4 in. standard
self-timer 10 seconds
power options optional camera dock with Ni-MH rechargeable battery pack (in-camera charging); 2AA lithium or Ni-MH batteries or 1 CRV3 lithium battery, 3 volt adapter
weight without batteries: 210 g (7.4 oz.)
dimensions WxHxD: 110.5x66x39 mm (4.4x2.6x1.9 in.)
warranty one year

Package contents

KODAK EASYSHARE DX4330 Zoom Digital Camera
Lens cap with strap
CRV3 lithium battery or equivalent
Video out cable
USB cable
Wrist strap
KODAK EASYSHARE Software CD
Documentation
Custom camera insert for optional KODAK EASYSHARE Camera Dock

System Requirements

Windows

WINDOWS 98, 2000, Millennium Edition, or XP OS
233 MHz processor or greater
64 MB RAM (128 MB RAM for WINDOWS XP)
200 MB hard drive disk space available
CD-ROM drive
Available USB port
Color monitor, 800x600 pixels (16-bit or 24-bit recommended)
Macintosh

PowerPC based MACINTOSH Computer
MACINTOSH OS X (0S 8.6/9.x - Share button functions not supported - OS X is recommended for full functionality)
128 MB RAM for OS X (64 MB RAM for OS 8.6/9.x)
200 MB hard disk space available
CD-ROM drive
Built-in USB port
Color monitor, 800x600 pixels (thousands or millions of colors recommended)

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So a 3 megapixel camera would be fine for 7x5s if you're not going to touch anything.

I'd suggest going up to a 4 megapixel, just to give yourself some breathing room. Besides, cropping is really easy, and can dramatically improve some pictures.

And the price difference between a 3 and 4 megapixel camera isn't really that much anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist:
Amazing Picture Quality

Proof!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Liam, I use both memory sticks in either/or the Sony Clie handheld and the Sony Cybershot digicam.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yeah, but, well, Jay won't. So he doesn't need two.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

I was thinking about a 256MB digital memory card.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by WizArtist:
Amazing Picture Quality
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proof!

Sorry I didn't edit the cut-n-paste! Sheesh! What did you miss tea time?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I missed lots of things. I am terrible.

A 256mb card will give you over 100 pictures at maximum resolution on a 4 megapixel card (which is 2272 x 1704). I'm not sure what the price difference between that and a 128mb card is, but are you sure you need that many?

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a motto: If your going to do it, do it right.

It's not too bad, about a $30 difference.

Besides, we're taking a 2 week trip to Italy and while I don't think I'll take and keep that many pictures, I'd hate to run out of room on the card.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember skimping and getting a 16 MB spare card for my digicam when I bought it. Bad decision. Not even sure where that little card is anymore. Useless. I got a 64MB card a week later. Always better to have too much than too little. Unfortunately, I've yet to learn that this isn't supposed to apply to milkshakes and cookies.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Ok, so here is what we got.

Olympus C-750 Ultra Zoom
4 megapixel
10x optical zoom
4x digital

And a 128mb card.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that one...

kidding.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like you have gone the right route. Kodak is getting out of the 35mm film business, I wonder how long before Agfa, Fugi and other companies follow suit.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There will ALWAYS be a market for film photography. Plenty of artist and commercial applications still work better with film, to say nothing of all the countries that simply don't have the computer access necessary to make it feasible. Film ain't going nowhere, though admittedly it'll become a small niche market.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps