Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Bush Wants NASA Revamped (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Bush Wants NASA Revamped
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...Psyliam's "rougish hair" would be adorning the saddlebag of some Navajo chief."

If we ever invent a time travel device, that is just by far the most compelling argument to change history with it. B)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or we could just dump Liam in the middle of the Battle of Little Big Horn (and, yes, I know that wasn't the Navajo, so don't nitpick).

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would they have? They were a long way from the tech level and resource impoverishment Europe was dealing with in the 15th century... But go back further than that.

The Norse founded colonies in Iceland, Greenland, and Vinland, but pulled them all out again later. There is some sketchy evidence that they made it at least as far South as Central America (maybe the basis of the Qetzalcoatl myth?).

Around -- what was it -- the 10th century, I think, the Chinese emperors decided there was nothing worth risking further eastward exploration across the Pacific, so they stopped the extended voyages that in short order would have led to the Chinese discovery of Alaska and Hawaii.

And there are ruins of a roughly 3rd century B.C. Phoenician settlement in Ohio (I think that was the state...). But they obviously didn't find anything here to justify continued round trips.

And through all this time the aboriginal peoples of the Americas didn't build anything much larger than war canoes. The Plains Indians were fighting each other on and off for centuries without any sort of significant technological development beyond the bow. No forged iron or steel. No gunpowder for rockets, cannon, or firearms. Ironic that nowadays, Indian reservations are the best places to go in the U.S. to get fireworks...

But for the present issue -- write to the person you plan on voting for. Write to their running mate. Write to your congresspeople -- senators and representatives. Let them know that whatever happens, and whoever ends up in the Oval Office, you want this program and its funding to continue on schedule. Join a space group, Like the Planetary Society or even just a local one ('round here we have the Orange County Space Society). You can stay up-to-date and also better organize write-in campaigns, like the one that saved New Horizons.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bowing out of the argument for a sec:
There's actually a fun book by Orson Scott Card on this subject. The historical facts even seem pretty researched. Pastwatch

Mind you, I don't actually think the results of the plot/intervention are realistic, in fact it might be the kind of thing that Omega might be thrilled to death about. But still, its a worthwhile read.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And there are ruins of a roughly 3rd century B.C. Phoenician settlement in Ohio (I think that was the state...)."

Where did you hear that?

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.worldconspiracy.com

[Wink]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tora Ziyal:
quote:
Our world would be a damn sight different if Columbus and those guys had stayed home
Yeah, the Aztec and Incan civilizations would still exist, and the American Indian population would still number in the tens of millions.
Yeah, those were two benevolent civilizations that had nothing but goodness, mercy and a love for mother nature.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one were so inclined, one could make the argument that Western Civilization as a whole would drown all Meso-American/idiginous cultures in a pissing contest for badness, malice and sheer natural destruction.

But so far as we know there are no indigenous species to oppress or convert in space. I don't know why we'd even bother. I suppose all this pent up manifest destiny has to go somewhere.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Peregrinus: No offence, but Phoenician settlements on the American continent - no matter in what country or state - is total BS!

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps