Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » George's Bayonet

Author Topic: George's Bayonet
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandfather died last November. In the process of cleaning out the old home (as my grandmother is now in an assisted living home), we found (among other things), a bayonet.

The blade is in good condition, and its still got its scabard and leather 'frog' (both the hilt and the scabbard are rather rusted). My Dad and Uncle gave it to me, and none of us were really sure 'whose' it was ... well, I identified it. It's a Mauser bayonet.

I'd like to clean it up ... but, really, have no experience cleaning up rusted ... well, anything. Any ideas?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WD 40 and a high grit sandpaper.

Patients and elbow grease come in handy as well.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DON'T do a THING to it!!! Find a local reputable individual that deals in antique firearms and such and find out what it is worth. Quite often the value of an antique is RUINED by people "Cleaning-up" problems. Find out what value it has as is and what its value would be if restored. Then make a decision whether or not you want to do it. If it's worth $5,000 as is and $500 if you start sanding on it, which would you rather have?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
DON'T do a THING to it!!! Find a local reputable individual that deals in antique firearms and such and find out what it is worth.
A rusty Mauser bayonet? Not like there are many of those around.

Jeff's is indeed special. It was his grandfather's.

But, unless this one is from some special SS unit and has unique markings on it, I'd say it ain't worth much.

Remember, gun and military antique collectors collect mint condition pieces. Rust leaves the metal pot-marked and even if it was from some special SS unit that guarded Hitler's outhouse, there are probably dozens of bayonets from the same outfit in better condition. A fact about WWII collecting is that there was vast amount of stuff made...a great deal of which is still around.

[ February 12, 2004, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, but I don't know what amount of rust he may be talking about. A "little" to some is a spot the size of a pin head (insert joke by PsyLiam here) while to another person it could cover half the knife. And there IS the possibility that it could be something special. Wouldn't you rather spend a couple of hours to find out BEFORE doing something to it rather than later find out you get a DOH! award?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's no interest in selling it. I've also got his sword (he was a captain in the infantry) and it could use some elbow grease. My uncle is talking about building a display box for the flag we got at his funeral, his dress uniform, the sword, and some photos of him in Europe.

Oh ... we also found a box of letters from him to my grandmother, from when they were dating in the late 30's, to him sitting around LaHavre in August '45 wondering if he was going to get sent to Japan. One of the letters has a sketch (not by him, but a Lt., presumeably in his unit) of a cat eating an arm, and the caption is "German cat munches on German soldier." Just an interesting thing of note.

Oh ... re: the bayonet, a quick search on eBay and I found several like bayonets selling for about $30-50. It was from a Mauser.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandfather's just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. . . And I also know my grandmother is throwing a lot of stuff out that he'd prefer to keep, because they always were pack rats. I think there's some of his military stuff in there, and I'd love to have a look at it (he was a Captain in Tanks in Burma). . . The thing I'd have loved to have got was his old Webley .455 revolver, but they handed that in as part of one of the firearms amnesties.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For blades, Metal Glow is great: it's cheap and Museum Replicas sells it by the tube.
It should take off the rust without sanding anything.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps