Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Unknown Windows Sound - Help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Unknown Windows Sound - Help
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya!

I've recently re-installed WinME (yeah, I know I should have put XP Professional on like I said I would - I'm stupid OK?). Anyways, whenever I right-click and "open in new window" I get a very nasty-sounding and annoying click that wasn't there before. Anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it as I can't find it anywhere in my sound options? . . . Of course I might be looking in the wrong place . . .

Cheers in advance! [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just delete the windows\media folder and listen to the sound of silence. B)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just delete any files ending with "exe" and that noise will go away for sure!

...That was a joke: DONT delete any of those files.
(even I'm not that evil)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Razz]

Not helpful! [Razz]

Anyway . . . saw a pretty good offer for a 120GB HDD at a local shop - thinking of adding it to my PC as a second HDD with Win XP Professional on. Say I did that and wanted to move EVERYTHING onto this new drive so that it then became my primary drive and my internet connection and so on ran from it, what would I have to do? Would I have to reinstall all of my drivers or is there a very simple way of transfering it all without corruption?

Remember - nice easy & simple steps; I'm still on the bottom rungs of the IT ladder. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Species 1162
Member # 1162

- posted      Profile for Species 1162     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Step One: Buy hard-drive.

Step Two: Take computer to shop and have a pro install it.

--------------------
Experience Is What You Get When You Don't Get What You Want.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Step Three: Pro takes too-close look at contents of original hard-drive, calls cops, you end up sharing cell with Shik.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
[Razz]

Not helpful! [Razz]

Anyway . . . saw a pretty good offer for a 120GB HDD at a local shop - thinking of adding it to my PC as a second HDD with Win XP Professional on. Say I did that and wanted to move EVERYTHING onto this new drive so that it then became my primary drive and my internet connection and so on ran from it, what would I have to do? Would I have to reinstall all of my drivers or is there a very simple way of transfering it all without corruption?

Remember - nice easy & simple steps; I'm still on the bottom rungs of the IT ladder. [Big Grin]

Actually, the Maxtor drives come with really clear instructions along with some software called MaxBlast which is pretty idiot-proof and lets you essentially replicate an existing drive to a new drive.

Mind you, I still have big beefs with their warranty policies (along with practically every other big HD brand), but thats another story. (And unavoidable unless you get one of those nice serial ATA drives....or SCSI even)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Step Three: Pro takes too-close look at contents of original hard-drive, calls cops, you end up sharing cell with Shik.

Take the computer to my store!!! I'm sure you can trust us!!!

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sound you're looking for, BTW, is called "Start Navigation" in the sounds cpanel...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just make it a game: each time the noise sounds, chug a beer.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had any luck with Maxtor drives, nothing but WD for me....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
The sound you're looking for, BTW, is called "Start Navigation" in the sounds cpanel...

YAY! Thank you Charles - a useful & direct answer for once. [Big Grin]

And thank you Mucus - that's very useful information. I shall investigate this further . . . otherwise I may do as Species 1162 suggests - but that's hastle and I won't learn anything & it'll cost me even more money that I don't have. [Frown]

Jason Abbadon - I don't really drink, except on family & special occasions. [Razz]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
Say I did that and wanted to move EVERYTHING onto this new drive so that it then became my primary drive and my internet connection and so on ran from it, what would I have to do? Would I have to reinstall all of my drivers or is there a very simple way of transfering it all without corruption?

Transfering files would be easy. When you install XP on the new drive, it will automatically set up a dual boot with the ME drive. Just load up XP, and drag your files across. In fact, you could use the ever-so-handy "Files and setting transfer wizard" to move all your files and settings.

Programs would have to be reinstalled. As would many drivers, because XP (and 2000) often use different drivers than ME (and 98 and 95). Windows will almost certainly have built in drivers that can be used though, unless you are usins some really exotic hardware.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the replication idea has the advantage that there would be absolutely no change to his install.
Aside from the fact that his hard drive would be bigger, Windows shouldn't even blink.

Unless you really need to do a clean rebuild (i.e. shedding old software, crap, etc.) its pretty good.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then he'd still have to reinstall Win XP on top of ME. And that's all icky.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps