Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Need some XP / Frontpage help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Need some XP / Frontpage help
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my current Dell computer in January 2003. It had a 'lite' version of Frontpage installed on it that I found very useful. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line it was deleted, possibly by one of the many Windows XP or IE updates. I think I found the set of files on the XP CD that contains Frontpage, but I have no idea how to reinstall it. It's not listed as an option in the remove/add programs list. Because I didn't use it that frequently, I have no idea how many updates back this occurred. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
B.J.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A. Get rid of the Dell.
B. Get rid of FP.

Otherwise I have no other advice...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What format do those files have?
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FrontPage Express is probably what you had. It has nothing to do with FrontPage whatsoever. However, both it and its big brother are to be avoided.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ritten - Bite me. The Dell is the best computer I've even had. Never crashed or had anything else wrong. If you have any other suggestions for a simple WYSIWYG program (freeware, of course) to replace FP, I'm all ears.

Cartman - One of them is a .CAB file, which I can extract other files out of. The others are .**_ (can't remember exactly, not at home right now). The point is even if these are the right files, I have no way (that I know of) of installing them properly.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Files with extensions that end in an underscore are just compressed versions of themselves, which you can restore by using a command-line utility called "expand". The first two characters in the extension of a compressed file are the same as in its uncompressed form, so *.dl_ would expand to *.dll, *.ex_ to *.exe and so on. Anyway, one of those other files should be an install program belonging to that .cab archive. Expand it (along with the rest, of course), run it, and see what happens. B)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is Frontpage Express, I think that's available if you select the "Add or remove Windows components" part of the Add/remove programs window.

If not, it might be available for download from the Microsoft web-site.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dell?

AAAAARRRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!

Has anyone considered the possibility that it was a timed trial?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with Dell?
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Default Dells tend to be crammed full of extra bullshit that slows things down. The same is true for any mass-produced PC nowadays.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NS Composer comes to mind....

BTW, you need a little curry....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timed Trials don't disappear. They instead flash up "TIME TRIAL OVER! BUY THE SOFTWARE! BUY IT! NOW!" in very big letters. Over and over again.

NS Composer comes to mind as what?

And PC-manufacturer snobbery is almost as dull as car manufacturer snoober.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question:
"NS Composer comes to mind as what?"

Answer:
"If you have any other suggestions for a simple WYSIWYG program (freeware, of course) to replace FP, I'm all ears."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FrontPage is a 'den of steenkin' evil!'

If you really do want a WYSIWYG program, and you want freeware, here are a few suggestions..

- Mozilla includes Mozilla Composer, a HTML editor.

- Amaya is the browser/editor by W3. Only issue that I have with Amaya is it's incomplete CSS support.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Cover your nose, Boo!"

Mozilla Composer is indeed a nice and simple editor.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps