Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Passion of the Christ... (semi-$) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Passion of the Christ... (semi-$)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that first instance, it looks like it means "Basic". Ie, the most basic principles a person could have. But basic could also mean barbaric/out-of-date.

Generally, words mean what people think they mean. And fundamental usually means:

1/ Old fashioned religious wackos, or

2/ That word in the constitution that looks good and stuff.

quote:
For instance, I don't believe sex before marriage is scriptural. But the Bible says nothing about contraception and I have no problem with that.
When you say that sex before marriage isn't scriptural, do you mean that it isn't in the bible? And therefore you don't have a problem with doing it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean that the Bible holds premarital or extramartial sex to be unacceptable. So I don't do it. But it says nothing about contraception, and I don't have anything against the use of contraception.

You had pointed out 3 areas in which the Catholic church is "fundamental", and I was just asking, if I agree with some of those points, but not others, does that mean I'm a Fundamentalist by the accepted definition.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bible holds many things to be unacceptable, like homosexuality, and many things to be acceptable, like selling your daughter into slavery. Obviously, if you don't agree with something that (according to the bible) is acceptable but do agree with something that (also according to the bible) is unacceptable, then you're not a fundamentalist. But I think a better definition is simply how laid-back you are in interpreting and adhering to scripture, as Liam said.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious: Whose daughter are you talking about?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, according to the bible, if I buy someone's daughter, it's okay but I cant go to a prostitute?

Is'nt that just "renting" someone's daughter?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Whose daughter are you talking about?"

I don't know if that's some sort of trick question, but I was speaking in general.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he wants to know where exactly in the Bible is/are the instance/s of daughter-sale to which you refer. [Smile]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I mean that the Bible holds premarital or extramartial sex to be unacceptable."

Well, extramarital sex is okay, as long as you call her a "concubine".

Cartman
Member # 256

Well, it's in Exodus 21:7:something.

quote:
And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do. If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation, he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her. And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters. If he take him another wife: her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.
If you take that literally, of course.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

It wasn't a trick question at all. I was just wondering what yspecifically you were referring to. Thaz all.

As far as extramarital sex being ok, it *happened*, but I don't think it was ever necessarily ok. Certainly not after the establishment of the Christian congregation where the guidelines for men of responsibility included being "a husband of one wife" and "looking at a woman so as to develop a passion for her" was likened to committing adultery in your heart.

Home I go. Dinner and freelance work await.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps