Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Copying sound from DVD?

Author Topic: Copying sound from DVD?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This question mainly goes out to Spike, who held those lovely sound-clip movie contests last year;
how does one "rip" the sound from a DVD-disc?

Is it possible with PowerDVD alone, or do you need fancy music programs for it?

PS. I can't get that "Exorcist" wav-file out of my head. I'm beginning to like it. DS

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you need a program that can isolate the audio stream from the .vob file on the DVD (or a program than can convert it to another format and THEN isolate the audio), like Smart Ripper, and/or another program that can churn out a nice 192kbps .mp3 from that stream, like, uh, AudioGrabber.

But if you just want the theme, search for "Mike Oldfield Excorcist" on any P2P network and you'll get gazillions of hits in a fraction of the time you'd otherwise have to spend ripping it yourself.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, actually it was the one where she used the crucifix. *blushes*

Thanks! I'll try the 'grabber, see if it's good.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Total Recorder for it. It's a very uncomplicated program but an unregistered copy of it can only record 40 seconds. If you want to convert the sound clip to an mp3, you'll need another program like MusicMatch for example. And to polish the whole thing you could use mp3DirectCut. [Big Grin]

If anyone knows of an easier way, I'd like to know too.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Nim
Member # 205

I have ripped a part of the DVD I wanted, using SmartRipper, and I installed MusicMatch, but I don't know how to get it to "see" the vob-files.
Nim
Member # 205

Here�s what happens.
Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MusicMatch can't read the .vob format. You'll have to convert those two files with AC3 Decoder or a similar tool.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Nim
Member # 205

Hm, the AC3 Decoder I installed only converts .AC3-files.
Are there any other decoders? I'm searching but all I get are wav->mp3 decoders...

Cartman
Member # 256

Must be a limitation of the trial version. AC3 Decode (free, no "r") i/c/w/ vob2mp3 (a frontend for AC3 Decode), DVD Audio Ripper, and Riverpast's Audio Converter can also do this, but it might be less of a hassle to just download a crack for AC3 DecodeR and be done with it. B)

[ April 24, 2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to actually extract the AC3 audio from the VOB first, which will then show up as a separate AC3 file. Unless, of course, one of the aforementioned programs both extracts and converts.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Nim
Member # 205

Sirs, you really deliver the goods! The AC3Decode (minus R) is what did it.

Spike, all the buttons in Mp3DirectCut sure take a while to figure out.
Not to worry, soon you shall see a sample of my labor.

Nim
Member # 205

Hint:  -

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps