Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Kia Ora te Aotearoa!

Author Topic: Kia Ora te Aotearoa!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's how it's spelled. Spelt? Anyway, it means "Welcome to New Zealand" in Maori.

Because I am indeed in New Zealand. Been here a little short of a month, and now have an always-on DSL service that is only on when I phone Telecom to complain about it not being on. Since this invariably involves 25 minutes on hold, I have enough time to post this. . .

I'm here, Kate's here, the cats are here. We're living in Hamilton in the heart of the fertile Waikato region, where the Shire and Weathertop were filmed according to my Lord of the Rings LOcation Guidebook.

All that hobbitry must be catching, or, if you will, hobbit-forming. Because no-one here wears shoes. Kids, fair enough, but adults? I want to say to them, you're grown men, put some shoes on, what are you, peasants? At home is one thing, but in a fucking department store?

Everything is cheap here, especially booze. And they are rugby-mad. It's very quiet though, a different pace of life. Except on the roads where everyone's drunk and drives too fast, especially since most of them hate the fact that my car is way cooler than theirs and therefore they have to overtake me no matter what.

Coming soon, the epic tale of our travels up and down the Western Seaboard of the US, which we really enjoyed. It's true what people tell me, Americans are much nicer in their own country. Unless they're driving on freeways in Los Angeles, that is. And yes, we did meet Charles, and yes, I have pictures. }B)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nifty.

You were in Los Angeles and you didn't even ask me what you should have done while you were here....I'm hurt.

Oh, if you don't live here, you can't dis the LA freeways. [Smile]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lee:
I think that's how it's spelled. Spelt? Anyway, it means "Welcome to New Zealand" in Maori.

Spelled and spelt can both be used as i realised before my brain nearly imploded.

All that hobbitry must be catching, or, if you will, hobbit-forming. Because no-one here wears shoes. Kids, fair enough, but adults? I want to say to them, you're grown men, put some shoes on, what are you, peasants? At home is one thing, but in a fucking department store?

Meet the bogan.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would Lee be a hoon with his fly car and all? How are you liking it the long white cloud, Lee?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*points at Lee* "SENGAIA!!!"
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've pretty much decided to move to Auckland since there are nore jobs there and the internet connections are better.

I think we did quite a good job of handling the LA freeways given we'd never driven a left-hand drive car, let alone a dodgem - sorry, automatic transmission - before.

--------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, if you can drive English roads, L.A. is a piece of cake. Okay, there are stupid drivers, but at least the roads are straight. And having learned to drive manual recently, I think driving an automatic is like riding a bike with training wheels. Though I understand that driving in a different country with an unfamiliar transmission is probably not a pleasant experience.

--------------------
life creation in progress

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dodgem"?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That IS how most American cars tend to handle, you know. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Lee
Member # 393

Granted, Dodgems don't have brakes, but when I remember how nuch our Mustang wobbled whenever we used the brakes, the analogy is quite apt.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Nustang"?

--------------------
"That's Wolfowitz, baby. He is an optimist. Always looking at the mass graves as half empty."
-Jon Stewart, "The Daily Show"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps