Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Fighting the War on Error... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fighting the War on Error...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The drive being referred to is my second hard drive. This used to happen maybe every couple months or so, but now it seems to only take a couple hours. Usually, I hear a single "click" sound come from the computer shortly before this error pops up. Then that hard drive disappears from the Windows Explorer, and I can't access it at all.

The only way to get it to reappear is to power the computer off for a few seconds, then start it back up. If I just reboot, then the BIOS will fail to detect the other hard drive (and, therefore, the operating system).

The "$Mft" part of the error message (which, I understand, refers to the Master File Table) isn't always the same, especially if this happens while the drive is being accessed (e.g. I'm downloading a file that's being saved there). Usually, I get two or three of the errors in a row. One will be "$Mft", one will show some file that was being saved or whatever, &c.

For the record, the drive in question is the slave on my primary IDE channel. My other hard drive is master on the same.

Any ideas?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, these may seem like completely unrelated questions, but do you have a motherboard with a VIA chipset? Or an ATI graphics card?

Also, check if the molex and ribbon connectors on your drive are still firmly, uh, connected. Replace the IDE cable if you have a spare one, too. I mean, the MFT might really be corrupted (in which case you'd have to LL format the thing), but it might also just be some obvious physical problem you're not aware of. Although, the click sound does suggest that it's the drive itself that's causing the error, so rule out what you can.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've already tried replacing the IDE cable. No help. And everything is plugged in tightly.

I do have a VIA chipset, but my graphics card is not ATI.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then try these things first, in order of importance:

Download the latest 4-in-1 Hyperion drivers.

Turn off write caching for the second drive (right-click on it in Explorer, then Properties-Hardware-[your drive]-Properties-Disk Properties (2000) or Properties-Policies (XP)). Reboot.

Set your system's performance to Applications/Programs instead of Background Services/System Cache (Control Panel-System-Advanced-Performance Options (2000) or Control Panel-System-Advanced-Performance-Settings-Advanced (XP)). Also reboot.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm probably wrong, but have you put any new hardware in your computer recently? Drives not being recongised (or coming on) is sometimes caused by the power supply being too weak.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Cartman: My motherboard is almost four years old. The particular chipset (KX133) isn't actually listed on that Hyperion site, it seems. But I'll try the other things.

Liam: I did replace my DVD drive not long ago. However, I was replacing one drive with another, so the power requirements shouldn't have really changed. And this hard drive problem, I think, started before that, anyway.

Cartman
Member # 256

Stupid question: the ribbon you're using IS a standard 80-wire, 40-pin one, right?

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I can't say as I actually counted, but, yes, it's a normal IDE ribbon cable.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should sound obvious (at least to me), but before anything bad really happens to the drive, back up everything you need from that drive.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Yeah, I should. Only I don't really have anywhere to back up to. I need to buy some CDs.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't have an answer to your problem but . . .

Sod off and buy some CDs now rather than later. My mate and I have both been struck by fucked up PCs - be it hard drives dying or some other shit - and we've both lost data that's been valuable to us. We both now have a stack of blank CD-Rs & CD-RWs next to our PCs and back up regularly (although I'll be investing in an upgrade in a few months and getting a DVD-R). Don't put it off - buy now!!

This advice has been brought to you from your friendly PC novice AK!
HEHE!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How old is the drive in question?
I was a technician for six years, every time a drive clicked it was like a limping racehorse. Save what you can and throw it away. It's usually the only moving part in the drive, the little reading arm(s), that do the clicking. Not much to do.
Opening it is not recommended, you do and you might as well throw it away. Contamination.
But it might be fun and educating, you don't get to peek under the skirt very often.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The drive is only a couple years old.

And I already know what the inside of a hard drive looks like.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an alternative to the hassle of backing up via CD-Rs and if you've got the dough, you might consider just getting another bigger drive and copying your old drives over. HDs are getting so cheap these days that you can get twice the capacity of your older drives for not a whole lot more than you'd pay for a stack of 100 blanks.

ps-Also, umm, Macs rule or whatever.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, I'd hate to buy a whole new drive if I don't have to (since, as I say, the one in question is relatively new). I could use the space, though, I'm sure.

Anyway, I haven't had a problem since I turned off the write caching that Cartman mentioned. Though, as I mentioned, the time between errors varies from weeks to minutes. So, we'll see.

Thanks, people.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps