Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Taming mp3 volume

Author Topic: Taming mp3 volume
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay so I was in the process of catologuing my 7500-odd MP3s and burning a few of my favs onto CD. These songs have all been accumulated from various sources, formats, etc, over the past 5 years. So they were not all pulled from the same person or with the same ripping software.

I was recently listening to one of the discs I made and I noticed quite a change in volume/ambience of one song to the next. It wasn't the case with all of the songs, but maybe 20% of them on the disc were significantly louder than the others I deemed "normal" at the volume setting I had chosen.

Getting to the point, is anyone aware of a program that can 'fix' these mp3s to an 'average' volume across the board, versus the volume variety that I seem to be encountering? Also, is 'normalization' have to do with what I am referring?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, use iTunes only, ever. There are volume levelizationism settings.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
...Getting to the point, is anyone aware of a program that can 'fix' these mp3s to an 'average' volume across the board, versus the volume variety that I seem to be encountering? Also, is 'normalization' have to do with what I am referring?

Yes it does. If you're interested in permanently changing the files you are using. But taking an MP3, converting it to an uncompressed format, normalizing/upsampling the volume, then applying MP3 to the results is pretty much not going to be worth all the effort. Especially if the original was of marginal bit-rate to begin with. But most semi-decent sound tools (you may need a separate program that will convert MP3s) can do this thing you ask.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of them being GoldWave.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use MP3DirectCut, recommended to me in my soundfile-thread.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like UM said, iTunes has this under preferences enable "sound check" I believe it is called. It works pretty well. Also you can use the uber-cool music store....

iTunes also goes to 11.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish that I could use the iTunes store, but since they don't support Paypal, my dad won't let me. [Frown]

As soon as I get a permanent job that can support it, I'm gonna sign up. Hopefully.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps