Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Emergency advice for litterature paper!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Emergency advice for litterature paper!!
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never asked any favors of my fellow members on Flare. Aside from help with computer software. And antivirus aid. And screencaps from Star Trek eps. Um..

ANYWAY, now I really need help. It's a trifle of a literary question, but time and again you Flareites have proven your worth in Worthless Knowledge�, and since I'm working right now on my paper on "A Farewell To Arms", to be turned in and orally presented in, oh, 8 hours, I submit to you, this:

From where comes the famous axiom "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die"? Shakespeare? The Bible? Reich-Chancellor Gorkon?

I would be most appreciative for your most urgent response, I seem to've depleted my net-searching skills, as it were.

Please?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a memento mori from the bible (Isaiah 22:13:something), though that particular sentiment (which is basically "you're mortal, have a nice day") was expressed even earlier in Horace' Odes, I think.

You owe me a turnip.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll get turnips in due time, are you certain the modern version is from Isaiah 22:13:something? I really need to back up this quote.
Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know if the modern version matches verbatim, but I'm reasonably sure it's in there.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Nim
Member # 205

Ah, found it in my bible. The "merry" part is not there, but I guess it will suffice as source material. Thank you, Cartman.

If anyone has any more observations, I'll happily accept it too.
Come on, you know-it-alls! Usurpers and intellectuals! Muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke 12:19: "Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry."

Ecclesiates 8:15: "A man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry."

What we have here is a mixing of a few proverbs.

PS: I am a lapsed/former Presbytarian. I found this info in The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations. Yes! A book!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Nim
Member # 205

The devil you say! :.)

It just so happens, the passage from Isaiah 22:13 is ironically similar to Frederic Henry's fate in "A Farewell To Arms".

If I've interpreted the scripture correctly (feel free to correct me), the people of Jerusalem were under attack from an external enemy, God wants the people to dress in canvas, shave their heads and lament, in hope of redemption.
But the people slaughter oxen and pour wine.
They laugh destiny in the face, saying "Eat and drink, tomorrow we die!", whereupon God replies "This your debt shall never be paid for as long as you live, says the Lord Seabot.

book$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$poilers

Henry and pregnant Catherine in the book defies fate and flee away from WWI in Italy, to settle in Switzerland, and for a while it is good. But the baby dies and Catherine bleeds to death, leaving Henry utterly broken. The book ends just ten sentences after her death.
The message? You can't escape death, but you must spend every living moment chasing your dreams, for even though you will never attain them, your life will at least have had meaning. That's at least how I saw it.

Like the people of Jerusalem, sticking it to fate and having a ball, before being slaughtered like animals.

What do you think?

Nim
Member # 205

Ok, it's 4:53AM here, I gotta leave in two and a half hours, just tell me this, those of you who know the bible. Do you think I got the interpretation right? Of the peoples' motivation behind the words "eat and drink..."?
Nim
Member # 205

Oh well, time to go. Wish me luck. See you on the other side, Flare.

Here you go, Cartman.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God's saying that, instead of realizing they've screwed up and asking for help, they'll just give up. Or so I see it.
Nim
Member # 205

Yeah, no room for quitters.

Well, I'm back. What a surprise. I went overkill, imagine that. The presentation was supposed to be all-oral, so no turning-in paper necessary. I'm so glad I shortened it down from the original manuscript.

The quote fit perfectly in the end, in any case. Matched the Hemingway-mentality, I think.
Life sucks, then you die. "Drink the nectar from the leaf of the vine you're hanging from, growing in the side of the well you've fallen into, with a dragon at the bottom and wild dogs on the verge, the ones you were running from when falling in."
Who said that btw? Descartes? Spinoza? Fabio?

Cartman
Member # 256

Two healthy cubs AND a vixen! Oh Nim, you shouldn't have. B)
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow - try to give us 24 hours next time, OK? We didn't even have time to spin off into 5 pages of off-topic banter.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Cartman
Member # 256

Spin this off, muthafucka. B)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I would only have thought that possible in the US.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps