Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Google Googol Google

Author Topic: Google Googol Google
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://theinquirer.net/?article=15969

:/

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't claim to be any sort of expert on copyright law, but I don't think you automatically get a trademark on every word you invent in a book. Especially a scientific term. Otherwise, some scientist could sue every time someone said "black hole" or "weak gauge boson".

Not to mention that it isn't even spelled the same.

I guess the people at Yahoo are lucky that Gulliver's Travels is too old to still be copyrighted.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or "shart."
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Legally, Google isn't obliged to pay anything (though it's no secret where the name originated), but ethically, now that people have really noticed that there are big dollars to be gleaned, maybe it should be. Maybe.

On the other hand, Google has become a success thanks to its concept, not thanks to its name, and nobody pays royalties to the descendants of Newton for use of the word "newton" or to those of whoever invented the words "micro" or "kilo" or the letter "e" or whatever, so Kasner's relatives are just SOL IMNSVHO ROFLMFAO BLNT. I
mean, had they approached Google three years ago, their case MIGHT have been stronger, but now? I think not.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In any event, I doubt that any of the success of google is down to people thinking "Hmm, I wonder what search engine to use? I know! I'll use the one that sounds similar to the word for "big number"! That's bound to be the best one". So I don't see how they'd be able to claim that google made money off of them. If they'd called themself "The Official BBC/Microsoft/Catholic Church search engine", then that would be a different story.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet another example of people trying get somethign for nothing.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps