Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Word problems (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Word problems
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's the fact there's a letter U in it, you guys seem to have an eversion to that particular vowel. But Liam is correct, when you name the specific person the letter is addressed to, you close with "sincerely." When it's anonymously addressed, use "faithfully."

My wife still uses double-spaces, and she started out as a secretary. I don't bother.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the crits, folks... And what Charles suggested wasn't the problem.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm correct for the UK. Whether I'm correct for the US is another matter. Of course, you're all retards incapable of using debit cards and mobile phones, so I win.

And Aban is right. But I don't think it's a case of using the word "position" twice. Rather, you are repeating yourself. Say it out loud. "I saw a posting for a position and I would like to apply for that position. You also mention that you are applying for the job in order to gain work experience, yet four lines later say that it's with the aim of paying for your tuition fees. I'd put both reasons together, otherwise it sounds like you've suddenly remembered the fees thing and stuck it in.

Something like "I would like to apply for the position of _____ that I saw advertised on ______, with the aim of broadening my work experience and paying for my tuition costs."

Then move on to "I graduated from blah blah blah...while there, I was able to blah blah blah". Provides more structure.

GPA stands for "grade point average", right? If so, you've written "[I] have a grade point average equivalent to a B- average". I'm not totally sure on American grammar usage around that abbreviation, but howabout "I attained a B- GPA and became better prepared for university"? (this also puts the two events in a more chronological order).

This also might be an American thing, but do you say "you can contact me at 534 etc", rather than "you can contact me ON 3424 etc"?

Oh, and turn of flush indenting. Put that with Times New Roman in the "never ever use" box.

Show us the letter before you send it off, so that we can make sure it's perfect.

(I've just been fiddling with Word. The thing Charles says produces a similar effect, except that a box also appears on the page. I can't get just the corner marks to come up. Could you show us your option-view window?)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one here would use "on" in that context, except for, possibly, scary East Coast residents. For instance, we say "in line" rather than "on line." And yet Willow says she met her boyfriend "online" and Buffy is all "On line for what?" And where did a girl from southern California pick up that usage, Mr. I Graduated from Wesleyan? FOUL.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not end with:

Thank You For Your Consideration,
Signature

Yes, yes. I know his name is not Signature.

quote:
GPA stands for "grade point average", right? If so, you've written "[I] have a grade point average equivalent to a B- average". I'm not totally sure on American grammar usage around that abbreviation, but howabout "I attained a B- GPA and became better prepared for university"? (this also puts the two events in a more chronological order).
Why use B- at all. A B is a B, you don't need the minus.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget when Buffy was all "I was on PMS" and then, uh, Willow was all "I was at PMS" and then, uh, Charisma Carpenter was all "I was in PMS."

I sure hope Beast does not get on the PMS, too.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He seems to be among the PMS already.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'd say "I am at "certain address", but I am on "certain phone number". Possibly for the crazy reason that you live AT home, and you go ON the phone.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but you also say that you live IN a street, so...
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you do the screen capture again to get images of your desktop?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Euh..

Print Screen?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the Options/View menu.

-

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Okay, I'm out of ideas. Is there a way to reset all the options in Word to default?

And are you using a Mac, or StyleXP, or something else?

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Style XP. And I haven't changed much in the way of settings, so I'm not sure how it happened.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: Does it show up when you print the document out?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps