Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Jerry Goldsmith, dead (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Jerry Goldsmith, dead
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I removed what I said, as I thought the thread was becoming a little crass when it's about the death of someone. A Star Trek someone too.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
I never knew who he was until he died. :/

That's really pathetic.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say ignorant, but pathetic works well too.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still, a Star Trek death means no more than a regular death.

Unless it's in response to the needs of the many.

Then it means something. For like ten minutes.

And then they bring you back.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one can be expected to know the names of all those involved with Star Trek. It's sad that he died, though, and may he rest in peace.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, but Goldsmith was one of the big ones in both the entertainment and Star Trek industry. You ought to have known of his work with Star Trek.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we sure he's actually dead?
Anyone use Pain Sticks?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anyone sober here? I want to honor Goldschmitt, in some way proper. I liked Klingon Theme, and picard's flute theme makes me misty (it's alright, I'm secure in my manhood).

To the smith. *clink*

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He "ought" to have known nothing. Don't chastise someone for not nerdily knowing each and every little Star Trek-related human being on the planet.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is it's not like he was 2nd grip on episode 52 of Star Trek: Voyager or something. Goldsmith was the composer of 5/10 Star trek films. He had something like 200-300 scores recorded/filmed/written in his career.

He wrote the Klingon theme. (Nice as it is, he didn't write Picard's flute theme... but you may have just been mentioning in the same sentence UM [Smile] )

If you want to know more get Star Trek: 5 soundtrack - it's usually VERY cheap. People think cause it's the 'worst' movie (actually does Nemesis now hold that title) everything about it is bad - but the Score (and yes I've said this before) for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is the BEST of them all.

I was driving home this evening and flipping through radio stations and came to one of the classical stations (ABC Classic FM for those in Australia who care). And I caught the LAST note of something from Star Trek (I'm guessing it is Ilia's Theme from TMP) but they actually played TREK on the classical radiostation!! The host was featuring Jerry Goldsmith for the hour or half hour. So she played some stuff from Star Trek (Could have been more than just the one track I partially heard) and stuff from "The Omen" - the only film he won an Academy Award for. He was nominated 17 times. He SO should have won more than just one, anyway that's life.) Actually what one in the same year as The Motion Picture? That's a pretty good score. Does anyone know the Academy Award history of the Trek Movies?

Anyway - for my own Tribute I'm going to play the Albums of his that I have - well at least the Trek ones. MAINLY, TMP (20th ann. ed. and TFF.)

Andrew

P.S. Who are the Trek-associated people that have died just in the last year!?!

Kelly Waymire
Cecily Adams
Paul Winfield
Matt Jefferies
Jerry Goldsmith

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE DUDE WROTE THE THEME FOR VOYAGER - HE HAD IT COMMING!!

Oh and Andrew...add to that:
Booker Bradshaw (Dr. M'Benga [TOS]) - Apr 1, 2003
William Marshall (Dr. Daystrom [TOS]) - Jun 12, 2003

Gotta give props to teh brothas!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Dr. Daystrom died!?! *shakes head* - actually that rings a faint bell. Actually so does Dr. M'Benga - was he like another Doctor on the Enterprise apart from McCoy?

Actually the Voyager theme has been so far one of the BEST television themes ever written. In terms of musicality and class - maybe not, like widespread recall/catchiness.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

He specialized in Vulcan medicine or something, I believe. He appeared in "That Which Survives" and "A Private Little War".

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was something like he was trained on Vulcan.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama IV Skin:
or something, I believe.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps