Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Site search engine advice

Author Topic: Site search engine advice
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as how there are at least a few other webmasters hanging around here, I thought I'd ask you guys this question:

For the past two or three years, I've been using the Fluid Dynamics Search Engine to run the searches on my site. It's a pretty useful tool, with the ability to perform searches by section of my site (by directory) in addition to searching the entire site.

However, I've come to realize that the FDSE only runs a general search based on the number of occurrences of the given terms that are being searched for. I've investigated a script that uses the Google API to provide searches of my site using their engine and database, and it seems to work pretty well. (Well, it did until I moved to my new server, which doesn't yet have a certain tool that's required to run the script installed, but they're going to install it soon.)

Here, you can compare the two sets of search results:
http://www.st-minutiae.com/search/search.cgi?Match=1&Realm=All&Terms=romulan&submit=Search
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.st-minutiae.com+romulan&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&filter=0

So here's my dilemma: Google provides better search results, but the FDSE has some better features. But how important do you think those features are? I did some checking in my old search logs, and it turns out that out of the 930-odd searches that were performed in the last year, only about 10% of them were performed on a specific realm (as opposed to the entire site).

I guess it all boils down to this: Do you think that 10% of the searches is significant enough to justify a decision to keep using the old search engine instead of switching to Google?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Apple thinks that a market share of 10% is significant enough to justify their decision to continue to build Macs, then 10% of a search share is probably significant enough to justify a decision to keep using the old search engine. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given a choice, let the people decide....

Post both and see which the majority of your vistors choose, then either keep both as a conveinience(close enough), or remove the lesser used.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this fuss because Google turned up one more result than the other one did?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not because Google returned one extra result -- it's mainly because of how the two engines order the results. FDSE just does a straight occurrence search, while Google has its fancy algorithms to determine the relative importance of the word.

I'm mainly trying to gauge opinion about which might be better/more desirable for visitors.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps