Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Olympics

Author Topic: Olympics
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I miss the Olympics already. Funny that, I'm not a big sports-watcher - but these last two weeks I've watched or kept tabs on (due to the time difference) of the Olympics A LOT!

I mean I didn't think I could more-so than during Syndey 2000... I mean on holidays, 3 channels broadcasting olympics (1 FTA, 2 cable) plus another cable station playing 24 hour The Simpsons - it was great. Athens was really GOOD! It was shaping up to be a bit of a disappointment - but they pulled it off.

I was watching not just the Australian events... but even non-Australian matches like the Womens doubles table tennis, the Volleyball, the Handball - they were great. The Womens Volleyball semi-final and final was great to watch.

I HAVE to talk about Australia though. For a population of 20 million... we came 4th. 17 Gold, 16 Silver and 16 Bronze for a total of 49 medals!

Most successful Australian Team ever - and after Sydney it was thought not to be achievable. We bucked the trend of host nations next games drop-off...!

At times we were second on the medal table, then third for a long time and then Russia won a few wrestling and gymnastic medals to push past us in the last couple of days.

Well done to ALL the athletes (Medal winners or not!)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a lot more of it this time than I did in Sydney (because of the time difference). I think the BBC did a pretty good job of the coverage, despite the unfortunated belief of at least some commentators that they have to keep talking no matter what.

I am quite glad that everything was ready and well organised, contrary to what the press was saying!

We didn't do too badly; 30 medals (9 gold) but we should've done better. And it was nice to beat the AMericans in the 4x100m relay. Finally know how Australians feel!

I'm looking forward to Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games and the Beijing 2008 Olympics now. Having watched a lot of these games I'm slightly more in favour of London 2012 now. ALthough I still can't believe they want to have beach volleyball on Horse Guards Parade.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I somehow missed all of the Olymics. I managed to watch a bit of Sidney, but I had a roomate from France that year and we just liked rubbing it in his face that his country sucks.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the Men's US Swimming meets along with Women's Volleyball and Women's Basketball. I only saw part of the Women's Gymnastics Freestyle because I had class. It was interesting to say the least.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I managed to watch a bit of Sidney"

-

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a lot of Michael Phelps. Why? Because he is Hotty McHotterson! Yum!

~LOA

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess who's coming to Flare?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Phelps lives in Maryland. Hence, Liz should move to Maryland.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't watch the Sydney games at all. But, in 2000, I was a pouty teenager.

I didn't watch Salt Lake, either. I don't know why.

I watched some of the games this year, though. And all I can say is that NBC's coverage was super shitty.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The BBC's coverage was quite good. I like how you can flick between the different sports if you have Digital. You'd think that Athens would have splashed out for some widescreen cameras, though. Tight bastards.

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I didn't watch the Sydney games at all. But, in 2000, I was a pouty teenager.

Whereas now you're a portly twentysomething. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know some people are a bit slow in getting jokes, but that's surely some sort of record.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps