Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Home networking bandwidth fun (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Home networking bandwidth fun
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching TV the other night and saw and ad for Roadrunner High Speed Internet for Rochester, NY. It was being advertised at a low low price of $19.95 US for the first 3 months or so for broadband connection. I snickered at this as I'm paying $9.95 CDN for the first 3 months and then $29.95 for the next 5 months on a student contract plan for ADSL.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I am beginning to get confused and angry.

For some reason, the Belkin network keeps connecting for a second and then disconnecting, and then connecting again for a second and then disconnecting, and so on and so on. But now a Linksys unsecured wireless network has appeared, and even though it's a weak signal, I can connect to it.

I refuse to belive that it belongs to one of my neighbours, and it's strange that it has appeared at the exact same time as the Belkin connection has started to play up. Doing the speed test on ZDNet gives me a speed of 568 kbps, which is close enough to the correct speed of 750 kbps (considering that other people are using the network) that I think it could be the same one, somehow unsecured and with a different name.

The network card is a Ralink RT2500 wireless PCI card, by the way.

Any ideas? Anyone?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. If it's a Linksys wireless, then it's either a cheap bastard or someone who doesn't know any better. I used to work with what was the largest wireless infrastructure in the country ('cause we were cheap bastards who couldn't afford a bunch of Cat-5) and the Linksys cards (and those which used the same chipset) licked donkey balls.

2. Wardriving? First I've heard of it. Here, it was called "drive-by hacking". But, like I indicated, my info is a little dated.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...it's strange that it has appeared at the exact same time as the Belkin connection has started to play up."

Not really. If your neighbours went wireless and the signals broadcasted by their AP are powerful enough, they can generate interference with your own AP's transmissions if both are on the same frequency (though that's pretty unlikely with OFDM and only two overlapping devices, but, you know, technology). Have your network settings changed at all since this problem appeared? If not, then round up everyone living within a 50-meter radius of your house and question them harshly.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I updated the drivers from the Windows Update web-site, but doing a system restore doesn't get rid of the problem.

And an old lady lives on one side of us, and the other side is empty. Plus, y'know, I still think that only 3 people in the whole of Liverpool have wireless broadband. Still, I will ask.

Doesn't explain the Belkin system playing up. I think I'll turn off the encryption stuff, and see if that stops it from acting all crazy like.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I issue a call to arms and get the cold shoulder. I bet Che never had this problem when he was unionizing the Ewoks.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

You don't live in Philly though, do you?

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far from it.

?

("Philly"? Don't make me break out the ((awful and bad)) fake Cockney accent.)

[Dudes, how about that Real World: Philidelphia, though, huh?]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Holy shit! [[Square brackets!]] ]
Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
{Soon, Simon will have depleted all the symbols on the <extended> ASCII character table in his obsession with styled brackets, and then he will sink into deep existential exigency. We are witness to the final days of a rational man.}
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have long since breached those walls.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
("Philly"? Don't make me break out the ((awful and bad)) fake Cockney accent.)

I was being like the Fresh Prince. He has authoritity over you.

--------------------

Cartman
Member # 256

And authority, even.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But no author-o-titty.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, who amongst us hasn't been warned about writing on female body parts?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps