Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Crop circle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Crop circle
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at this crop circle that appeared in England in July:

http://2012.antville.org/static/2012/images/silbury.jpg

Supposedly it is of a Mayan/Aztec calendar.

The Mayan Calendar 'ends' in December 2012.

1. Why was the calendar drawn in a field as a crop circle? (In ENGLAND!)
2. I don't think people with ropes and boards could have created THAT.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those crazy non-Earth alien types.

It's a good thing they studied the symbols of a long dead culture to use as a signal so we would be sure to grasp the meaning of their message.

They must be extra smart.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are there never dirt circles or marsh circles or garbage dump circles?
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because farmers are less likely to be spotted making shapes in a crop field than they would in a garbage dump. :-D

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen two, in my time, one on the A272 near Winchester, the other just north of Brighton on the road to Ditchling Beacon. I really must stop the car one day and have a closer look when I see one. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
2. I don't think people with ropes and boards could have created THAT.

Why don't you?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't think people with ropes and boards could have created THAT."

With enough effort, they could.

But, then, so could someone with Photoshop. Where exactly is this image supposed to have originated?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

With enough effort, they could.

But, then, so could someone with Photoshop. Where exactly is this image supposed to have originated?

Well the photoshop idea is more likely than the wood and rope one. I've watched about 3 shows on Discovery Channel over the years showing people trying to recreate Crop circles. While they do a good job - they are still quite shabby. The cornstalks aren't intertwined. The patterns they create are quite simple and all over they don't look quite the same as 'unknown' crop circles.

PLUS Some crop circles appear within seconds.

--------------------

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Appear within seconds? So there are people who have witnessed crop circles being formed out of nowhere? Those must be the people who swear Bigfoot is legit and have seen him up close, but happen to never have proof.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The interesting thing though, here is - that it was the Mayan calendar. The Mayan's had very accurate calendars and their final calendar 'runs out'/'ends' roughly around December 2012. So who knows what's up in 8 years! (Well at least either New York, London, Paris, Madrid or Moscow will have their Olympics).

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
Appear within seconds? So there are people who have witnessed crop circles being formed out of nowhere? Those must be the people who swear Bigfoot is legit and have seen him up close, but happen to never have proof.

Well the 'seconds' theory - sounds a bit out there. Most though, form overnight. I.e. empty field one day, crop circle the next.

The 'seconds' idea might be derived from Farmers in their fields. Or others who hang around wheat/corn fields. Who have checked out a field and then returned to see it possessing a crop circle.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like, so, all powerful Mayan aliens ("We sure could have used your help in the 16th century, you bastards.") decide to send us messages via a system invented by a couple of British guys down at the pub one night?

What will happen in 2012: the same sorts of things that happened in 2011, only with even neater cell phones and faster computers, and the same sorts of things that will happen in 2013, only with boring old cell phones and lame-o computers that can't even manage the neural interface for GTA 9: Blowing Things Up Anywhere You Goddamn Want without giving you a headache.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the Predators, obviously- they showed the Myans how to make their crazy deathtrap-pyrimids as well.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Think again.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crop circles, if done well, are works of art. The added bonus is that it attracts people who think they are made by aliens. I won't even go into the sheer sillyness of any such ET-theory.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps