Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hard drive or file troubles

Author Topic: Hard drive or file troubles
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I finally got my new computer built and running, with a lovely 120GB drive that purrs like a kitten. I took the 13GB drive out of the old computer and set it up as slave to the 120. Started transferring files from drive to drive as the 13GB is shuffling off its mortal coil in a timely matter. Now, the problem is that I can't get into the Documents and Settings\Chris folder. Whenever I try to open it from anywhere, it tells me access is denied. Would this have anything to do with the fact that its the personal folder for the administrator account on that installation of XP and, being password protected and all, is not accessible at all? Or, is there some trick to getting into this folder? There's a dearth of downloaded material in this folder from when I was using that computer that I'd like to have back.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the user 'Administrator', can you change the permissions on that file and its children?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I access the properties of the file and change anything, I tell it to apply the changes but when I open them up again the settings are back to what they were before. Also, it tells me that the folder is 0 bytes and there are no files or folders in it, but I know for a fact that there's >2 GB of stuff in it.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then login with your old account (ie. boot from your old drive, if you still can) and futz with the permissions there.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I wouldn't know how to boot from the old drive other than putting it back in the old computer. [Confused]

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then that's how to do it.

You'll probably just want to copy the files over somewhere else on the disk.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I wouldn't know how to boot from the old drive other than putting it back in the old computer."

Change the boot order in your BIOS.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"I wouldn't know how to boot from the old drive other than putting it back in the old computer."

Change the boot order in your BIOS.

LOL! [Big Grin] Glad you're around here Cartman, I'd have just sat in front of my PC and taken ages to come up with that simple effective solution. I'll just go and write that down and put it some place safe. [Wink]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Actually, I was unable to change the boot order in my BIOS. It wouldn't let me choose between drives. So I just stuck it back in the old computer, moved the files around and then put it back.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's the end of that chapter!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

All wrapped up in a neat little PACKAGE!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps