Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Play Safe, Vote Smart... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Play Safe, Vote Smart...
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from my campus newspaper, The Daily Sundial. I find it facinating, yet disturbing. Feel free to make fun of it.

quote:

Votergasm seeks to increase youth voting, sexual activity

Alejandro Guzman
Daily Sundial

A group of recent Columbia and Harvard graduates have organized a new campaign that seeks to inspire 100,000 young people to pledge to have sex with voters and to withhold sex from those who don�t vote in the presidential election this November.

The idea behind the campaign is to increase youth voting and sexual activity, said Michelle Collins, director of the Votergasm campaign. Their goal is to get 100,00 people voting, which they hope will result in at least 250,000 orgasms, she said.

People who are not having sex are less likely to be voting, and people who are not voting are less likely to be having sex, Collins said. The more deeply engaged young people are in their lives, whether in the form of sexual or civic action, the better it is for America, she said.

�Hot, mutually satisfying, safe sex is a beautiful and natural act,� Collins said. �People who aren�t having sex, or aren�t having enough sex, are often frustrated, depressed and unfulfilled. It�s a serious problem facing our nation, and it�s been ignored for much too long.�

Visitors who go to www.votergasm.org can register to vote online. They can also be a part of election night parties and sign the Votergasm pledge. The organization hopes this will help encourage voting, and just as importantly, inspire young voters, ages 18 and up, to engage in sex, Collins said.

According to Collins, the problem of low sexual activity among youth is just as serious as diminishing voting rates. She said that both issues are symptoms of a larger problem, which is a lack of engagement among young people.

This program is a political gimmick, said Mehran Kamrava, CSUN chair of the Political Science Department.

�I think that their primary motivating factor is voter turnout, rather than to engage in unrestricted sex,� Kamrava said.

Other countries have innumerable ways of convincing people to vote, he said, such as giving voters pots, pans and other �prizes.�

Whatever the motivation behind the campaign, some CSUN students see Votergasm as an immoral and inappropriate way to pervert young voters.

�I think it�s disgusting,� said Angelina Marinello, freshman business marketing major. �This is not a decent way to get people to vote.�

�Voting should not be a reason to have sex,� said Alexis Duran, undeclared sophomore. �This is just more proof that our morals as an entire country are declining.�

However, while some feel it is immoral to pledge to have sex with voters, Collins said that those who pledge are not promising to have sex with all voters.

�That is simply impractical,� Collins said. �There will be millions of voters (during) this election. We are asking them to have sex with people they respect and desire. And there�s nothing more respectable, or hotter, than voting.�

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I voted in the Dutch national, provincial and European elections! I DEMAND THE CANDY!!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
�People who aren�t having sex, or aren�t having enough sex, are often frustrated, depressed and unfulfilled. It�s a serious problem facing our nation, and it�s been ignored for much too long.�

As opposed to paultry issues such as rising health care costs, increasing poverty, rampant drug use, and the flagrant whipping of kittens with noodles.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want sex.
Sex am good- even with republicans.
(cute female republicans- not those old cooks in congress)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who aren�t having sex, or aren�t having enough sex, are often frustrated, depressed and unfulfilled.

In other news, people who ARE having sex are often frustrated, depressed and unfulfilled.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those old crooks are their fathers, and sooner or later you'd have to meet them. I mean, sex is good and all, but not that good.
David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't approve of the project in the least. However, I did want to stick up for Republican women celebrities. They're plenty of them out there.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.. there's a thought. Playboy Presents: Women of the Republican National Convention.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(edit: This link will ((obviously!)) totally get you in trouble if you click on it while at work, the library, or the Vatican. ((I can't even imagine what would happen to you if you work at the Vatican library.)))

quote:

According to Collins, the problem of low sexual activity among youth is just as serious as diminishing voting rates. She said that both issues are symptoms of a larger problem, which is a lack of engagement among young people.

Okaaaay.

So what does this say about: www.collegefuckfest.com ? [Confused] Those youths appear to be getting plenty of sex! [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Guess since the idea is flawed they'll have to think of something else to encourage voters! [Big Grin]

[ September 23, 2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Sol System ]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Hmmm.. there's a thought. Playboy Presents: Women of the Republican National Convention.

They could so a certerfold of the woman that was pushed down and stomped. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"People who are not having sex are less likely to be voting, and people who are not voting are less likely to be having sex, Collins said."

Then explain me.

"...low sexual activity among youth..."

Erm... Since when?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Since they joined the A.V. club?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Withholding sex to spur voting? This is extortion, how can they justify that?

Jason: "Sex am good- even with republicans.
(cute female republicans- not those old cooks in congress)"

Say what you will about Strom Thurmond but you will never get better foreplay. Think Kama Sutra but with ten-gallon hats and cowbells.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...not those old cooks in congress..."

They prefer the term "chef".

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like republican kitchen-masters would use a french term for themselves. Bah! You'll have better luck eating a bucket of KFC-chicken.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps