Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » DNS problems (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DNS problems
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I connect to the internet through a router and for some reason if I leave it on while I'm away for a couple hours it disconnects or something. Oddly I can connect to Flare, but no other websites unless I reboot the computer.

Someone told me it's Comcasts shitty DNS servers. Is there a way to fix my connection without having to reboot?

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the router have an option to "keep connection alive", or some such? Have you tried activating it?
Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see anything.

The weird thing is, I leave my computer on inactive for say two hours and come back the only website I can access is Flare. I can't access anything else such as AIM or other websites. I don't understand why after an idle period Flare is the only thing that will load every single time. What's different about this site that allows me to access it and write this post and other sites I can't?

That's got to be something I can do that doesn't require a reboot. A simple log off and log back on won't cut it.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the site simply loaded, I would have suggested it was in your browser cache. But, if the site actually works, but nothing else will load... I have no idea.
Hobbes
Member # 138

That was my initial thought as well. But the post I made above was when I left my computer idle for a couple hours. And it wasn't just that once, but every single time it happens, Flare will be the only site my computer picks up. So clearly there's still some sort of active connection yet only to here and nowhere else I try.

A simple reboot resets the connection or something, but for this three year old computer a reboot takes a long damn time.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I encountered the same problem on the weekend! I had the computer on for a while - and I couldn't connect to ANY website - just timed out, or MSN. YET, my e-mail and irc worked fine.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Open a DOS box and enter:

IPConfig /flushdns
IPConfig /registerdns

Then close it and, erh, browse.

(If your PC obtains its DNS info from your router instead of Comcast's servers, this probably won't work.)

Hobbes
Member # 138

Nope. Tried it and it didn't work.

Yet of course every single time this fucking happens Flare is the only site that will work for me.

--------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Yet of course every single time this fucking happens Flare is the only site that will work for me.

And? [Confused] You're complaining? At least you have quality Net access, not one of those shite sites! HEHE! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually when it happens to me - I don't think I have any access - I'm guessing you might have Flare access cause it's in your cache?

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if flare works (looking at new threads, not just ones you've seen before) and nothing else does, then yeah, I'm thinking it's a DNS problem. For a test, write down the IP address of something like altavista, something you don't visit often. Next time it disconnects, see if you can get to altavista using the domain name, then see if you can get there using the IP address. That should narrow it down some.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
A simple reboot resets the connection or something, but for this three year old computer a reboot takes a long damn time.

Then turn off the 5 billion and one things you've got loading at startup.

Doing a registry clean would probably help, too.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. Open a DOS box again, enter...

IPConfig /all

...and tell me wether your default gateway IP and DNS server IP are the same. Then tell me the model and type of your router. Then do what Liam said, or I will spank you.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried just rebooting your router and cable modem/DSL modem?

At home we have a SMC router and every once in a while it just needs a good reboot. (i.e. maybe once a week) Go figure since its firmware based, but whatever. Speaking of which, see if there's a firmware update for your router. (and in rarer cases, for the modem)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

What is 'firmware'?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps