Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Car follies and Identity theft.

Author Topic: Car follies and Identity theft.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My car was broken into today. Found the glove compartment open with stuff strewn about, and the frame to my door and window are damaged (looks like they pried their way inside). This was done overnight, and I was not the only one whose cars were broken into. My landlord's car also was hit too. In fact, I think the culprits were casing the entire underground parking lot.

The only thing of value is my cellphone, but they didn't take it for some reason. But there was a bunch of receipts that were inside the car, stashed away in a small compartment. Among those receipts was an expired copy of my driver's license. Guess they were looking for credit cards and took the whole stack.

I'm not sure if the theft of an expired drivers license is good news, given recent news reports about identity theft. But then again, I don't think the culprits are very bright. My landlord says they may have come from a housing complex across the street known for its petty crime.

So, I ask: should I worry or not?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless there was, like, a really bad photo on your old driver's license.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah - right like I'm going to just answer you. How do we know if it is really you?

I need to see some ID.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did his old driving licence have his Flare forum ID and password in it? This could be a hoodlum from the housing block across his street, maybe they stole a computer and a phone socket and are masquerading as him on the internet.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine a couple years ago. There was a bank statement in her car, she found her account cleared out a few weeks later. If that thing had your social security number on it, all I can think to do is watch things very carefully to make sure you don't suddenly have new credit cards.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can call the credit bureaus and have a flag put on your info so that they have to contact you and get authorization every time anyone tries to open an accout with your info. That way no one can set anything up without your consent. Also, I'd recommend transferring your acct #'s through the banks and such, and also have a password put on all of them so that if someone calls in, they can not 4-step verify you without that password.

That's what we tell people to do here at the bank I work at, at least....

Good luck!!

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LOA:
You can call the credit bureaus and have a flag put on your info so that they have to contact you and get authorization every time anyone tries to open an accout with your info. That way no one can set anything up without your consent. Also, I'd recommend transferring your acct #'s through the banks and such, and also have a password put on all of them so that if someone calls in, they can not 4-step verify you without that password.

That's what we tell people to do here at the bank I work at, at least....

Good luck!!

That's a bloody good idea LOA, I hope that's applicable in the UK (one would think so). I'm going to investigate that tomorrow. [Smile]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps