Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Urgent Internet/legal help required! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Urgent Internet/legal help required!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh yeah - Kazaa being on there opens up all sorts of questions - and yes, getting rid of it alone, won't fix it - neither will running a program like Adaware - you have to run several different programs to get rid of most spyware - and even then you don't get rid of it all.

The fact that he was forced to use a computer that was used by someone else puts holes in his computer usage security. Actually, that goes for anyone using a computer that is or has been shared.

I don't care what they say, i reckon they just cannot ping someone beyond reasonable doubt. I mean the release of SP2 and microsoft and countless thousands of hakers have made it painfully aware that XP is FAR from a secure product.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real question- did your pal do something to someone higher up that would provoke this kind of retaliation?

If not, the question becomes- Can he still function in his job if nothing can be proven and he's retained?
He's have to deal with whatever stigma comes with this kind of (presumably well known) injquiry.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman - hallmarks of a setup - too bloody true! That's what we think the IT guy has done as he doesn't really like my mate (think he had problems with his PC and asked the IT guys round to fix it too many times - not his fault that it didn't work right but then people are strange). [Mad]

AndrewR - thanks.

Jason Abbadon - Who knows with these people and no he won't function there - he'll quit. [Mad]

Can anyone confirm/deny TSN's first part of his reply about pop ups please? Ta! [Smile]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*L* If I'm reading this thread correctly, someone installed Kazaa on an office computer? Quality.

I'd have to agree with TSN with a qualifier.
You can open a pop-up with a couple lines of Javascript with no need for cookies. Similarly, cookies are used for tracking information about visitors (which can be benevolent(Solareclipse probably uses them to track if we are logged-in) or not (tracking advertising info))

There is absolutely no necessary requirement for one to create the other. That said, they may be positively correlated. A site that doesn't shy away from pop-ups *probably* won't shy away from cookies either.

I would also note that as Cartman pointed out, if a pop-up completely unrelated to the site you are browsing (i.e. if a pop-up occurs while browsing here) then you probably have an ad-ware problem.

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - the previous user also played games at lunch time. [Roll Eyes]

Thanks Mucus, I'll pass that onto my friend. [Smile]

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would hope that the previous user was fired long ago for such behaviour.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was probably promoted.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

akb1979
Member # 557

Nope, he left just before his contract expired - he'd used up all of his hol's and needed to find another job, so just left about one or two weeks early. He was a real slacker too. [Frown] Never liked him either. [Mad]

One question - if they refuse to give him evidence to look at, what can he do about it? Can he have the case against him "thrown out" due to unfairness/rule breaking? [Confused]

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

Well, it's over.

He went to the meeting, presented his case and then it was adjourned for about 20 mins. He then went back in and they told him that they would be taking it to the second stage of warning - i.e. his first written warning (verbal being the first). They factored in his good conduct to date and, from his impressions during the meetings, the fact that they can't 100% prove that it was him due to all that crappy software on the machine.

He's happy with this and has now left the company, being paid his notice period in lieu - his stress is finally over. He's sad to be leaving this way, but that's the way it is. He's gonna miss people there as they will miss him (all of them are disgusted at the way that he's been treated, but happy that he's happy with the outcome).

I have been asked to pass on his deepest thanks and appreciation to those of you who have helped with advice and technical and legal know-how and who have offered him support. So . . .

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

PS- yeah, I posted this in the wrong topic - silly me!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is good to here. Now maybe they should look into the IT Staff? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please convey my congratulations to him! And I hope he finds success elsewhere.

(You've been a good friend to him, akb, so Huzzah! for you as well!)

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

As good an ending as possible I guess....
STill seems like they framed him good though.

Be sure that wherever he works next, the computer is either new or he does some serious cleanup work on it to prevent this from happening again.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And make sure that he doesn't add them to his references list. They might try to fuck up any chances he may have with potential employers he applies or meets with.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

akb1979
Member # 557

AndrewR - the IT staff are OK, it's just the Head of the department who's a fucking areshole. While my mate was having his trouble, the head was bullying his staff and caused one some real shit so he's now left to work in another area away from the guy. [Frown]

David Sands - Thanks! (From him and me).

Jason Abbadon - yeah, that's how we all feel but he's just glad to be out. Other memebers of his department are planning a mass resignation to totally fuck the company up for what they've done - they're actually afraid it could happen to them too!

Dat - he's gonna use them once and then never again.

Thanks again folks! [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps