Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Oktober komputer kvestion...

Author Topic: Oktober komputer kvestion...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now, October has been running amok for *cheques almanac* oh about 5 days now, and there hasn't been one single new computer incompatibility prob, so I got asked by TPTB to throw the wolves a bone.

So here it is.
My Windows XP (and my friend's W2000) has three subfolders present in its "My Documents"-folder; My Pictures, My Music and My E-Books, or somefuck.
We delete the shit out of them but at the next reboot they are back, risen from the cesspool of virtual oblivion like Lestat with mouthular herpes, wearing a blue TRON-jumpsuit.

How do I kill them and make them stay dead?
Where's the script/bat/cfg that replicates new folders for my "My Documents" folder?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I attach a question onto this string that might be related? Is there also any way to prevent the "Links" folder in "Favorites" on IE from coming back to life after I've deleted it. It's so redundant (I thought my Favorites were my Links!)

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, see, what you put in "Links" will show up as clickable buttons in the link-menu, under the adress-field.

I have my link-strip filled up always, much easier to surf when you have your top ten bookmarks visible at browser startup.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't permanently remove these folders, but you can change their location via TweakUI in its Special Folders location.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See also: http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/06/30/169757.aspx
David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip, Charles.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Nim
Member # 205

Thanks! I'll reproduce the solution here, for reference.

quote:
Open your My Documents folder.
Assuming it's empty, delete the My Pictures folder (if you haven't done so already).
Right-click in an empty area in My Documents, select New, and then Text Document.
Rename the new New Text Document.txt file to My Pictures (without a filename extension). Note: if you don't see the .txt filename extension here, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab, and turn off the Hide extensions for known file types option.

Right-click your new My Pictures file, select Properties, and turn on the Read-only and Hidden options. Click OK when you're done.
That's it! Since you can't have two files with the same name (or a folder and a file with the same name) in the same directory, Windows won't be able to create the My Pictures folder as long as the file exists.

I assume this goes for "My Photos", "My Music" and "My E-Books" as well.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
Member # 205

Well, I suppose that was the coup de gr�ce on this thread. Thanks goes to the panel, all the helpful bystanders and of course, in all humility, me.

But before I go I'd like to share something with you, something I've been burdened by for some time now.

Everytime I see the button "Update Post Indicators" on the forum summary, I think of this;

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/205/inevitatbility.Zip

So you see, this is why I compulsively click that button every time I visit Flare, in fear that if I didn't, I would somehow meet the same end.

Thank you.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the most insidious form of NT auto-repair (which isn't really a form of auto-repair but has likewise driven me to near-homicidal rage more than once) is that infuckingdestructible Frontpage/Netmeeting/Outlook/Windows Media Player/Windows NT quintet in the Program Files folder. Never has so much pure hatred been felt by so many toward so few. Never.

[ October 05, 2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was one version of ICQ that insisted that it couldn't conceive of a world where every PC didn't have a From ICQ folder in their Favourites menu. Bugged the shit out of me. I can't remember how I got rid of it - probably fucked with the registry or something - but since I've virtualkly stopped using ICQ now, it doesn't matter.

. . . Actually, that's another thing. I tried installing it on my laptop, but it annoyed my wife too much because it seemed to take a fancy to her and kept popping up when she was logged in under her Windows profile. Meanwhile I had to move heaven and earth to be able to use it under my profile. So I stopped using ICQ. No-one talks to me anymore anyway.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
Member # 205

Cartman: Have you tried deleting those folders in DOS-mode? I mean pure DOS, through a bootdisk.
Going at them while in Windows is suicide, they make themselves busy and untouchable immediately.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did away with floppy drives in 1998.

(Moral, sort of: try to be cutting edge all the time, and you will just lose a lot of blood.)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps