Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » LAN gaming causes frustration (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LAN gaming causes frustration
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, we've got a wireless network set up under Win XP, blah blah blah. It has a habit of disconnecting every hour or so and then reconnecting, which is mildly annoying, but sufferable.

The pain started when I went to play Age of Mythology with a housemate over the connection. We get about 5 minutes in, and then the connection goes down on one computer and he gets thrown off. And we have no idea how to resume this game.

This is annoying. It angers me. Has anyone any ideas how to either fix it, or at least let us resume our saved game?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a three-week-and-two-day absence, you return only to be all full of angst and bitterness? For shame. For great shame.

(Does that network of yours give your mate/you the finger in any game, or just when playing AoM? ((Both of you have downloaded the 1.10 patch, right?)) Which one of you is usually host? Can you/your mate ping your mate's/your computer after a disconnect? Why has your PC Format review still not been published? Can't whoever hosted the game reload the last save and let the other person join it again? I shouldn't drink so much coffee.)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first one was published. The second review gets published in another three weeks. I have a new job and am very busy. We both have the 1.10 patch. These are out of order and annoying me now. Why have you been stalking me so obsessibely.

Okay, my internet connection will drop about once an hour. It then immedietly reconnects. Since my only experience of wireless networking is this one, I assumed that that was fairly normal.

When one person gets disconnected, the other person gets a screen with "blah blah is not responding. Do you want to wait or save". If you click "wait", the other person has 30 seconds to get back on, or the game quits anyway. Which wouldn't be a problem, except that when the other person's connection reconnects, he gets a message saying "you nned to restart because your IP address has changed". And by the time we've run between rooms with the one CD we've got, the 30 second time limit has run out.

We've both tried being host. It lasts longer on mine, but still bombs out.

And when we reloaded the old game, the computer was playing as the other person. I didn't realise you could rejoin. How do you do that?

Oh, and this is the first game we've tried multiplayer with. Apart from Championship Manager, which allows you to reconnect.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What model is your wireless router?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

It's a Belkin something something something 11g.

Someone at work has pointed out that the problem might be because all the versions of Win XP on our network use the same serial number (for some completely legitimate reason, obviously). Likewise, we're running the same copy of AoM on both machines. Is that likely to have anything to do with it?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Ignore this. Stupid double posting stupidness.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking of getting the Belkin wireless unit that supposedly connects to my Belkin ADSL modem by the Ethernet cable, but the more I read of Liam's travails the less keen I am.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But according to the reviews, they're suppossed to be good. I just assumed that all wireless networks dropped their connection about once an hour. Or am I wrong?
Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. It's actually caused by a flaw in XP's Wireless Zero Configuration service. SP2 is supposed to fix the problem, but, erh, it doesn't. Microsoft, meanwhile, wash their greedy corporate hands in total innocence. The fuckers.

"The first one was published."

WELL WHERE IS IT THEN BOY

"...you need to restart because your IP address has changed."

Hmm. If your router really does assign a new IP address to each client every five minutes, its DHCP settings probably need adjustment. So, y'know, check them first.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, your router should be able to assign the same IP address consistantly to the same MAC address whenever it connects. I've got some software on my laptop that came with my wireless NIC that handles wireless configuration instead of Windows, which might eliminate your problem. Unfortunately, I can't think of the name of it, nor do I know if it's free. I think it had "Zydas" in the name.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

It doesn't every five minutes, just when someone gets kicked off, which for me is about once an hour.

The IP address is largely the same. The first 3 blocks of numbers don't change, just the final digit, which varies between 1 and 5 (we have 5 people on our network).

If the problem is caused by Win XP's wireless zero configuration service, should I install and use the third party software that came with the network cards instead of letting Windows handle it? It's called RAConfig.

And maybe they just didn't upload it to the web-site. It was just a half page review. Not like the new one, which is an entire page!

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The IP address is largely the same. The first 3 blocks of numbers don't change, just the final digit, which varies between 1 and 5 (we have 5 people on our network).

Yeah, there are only certain IP address blocks that are non-routable. Just saying if you want the same computer assigned the same address all the time, you can do that.

If the problem is caused by Win XP's wireless zero configuration service, should I install and use the third party software that came with the network cards instead of letting Windows handle it? It's called RAConfig.

Mine's called ZDConfig, might be a regional thing. Definitely worth a shot.

Cartman
Member # 256

Half-page reviews don't count.

"It doesn't every five minutes, just when someone gets kicked off, which for me is about once an hour."

Wait, now you are confusing me. Two separate things are going on here, IIANMWIAICBOMGWTFBBQ:

1) LAN-internet traffic is interrupted roughly once every hour, but only for those people running XP. Interruptions are also confined to a single machine, so if person X w/ XP gets the shaft due to the WZC bug, it doesn't affect person Y w/ XP (until said bug kills his connection as well, but by then X will be back on track again) and person Z w/ 2000 just keeps on funking like nothing happened. Intra-LAN traffic between an affected and an unaffected client is also interrupted, but when the affected one reconnects, it's assigned the same address (assuming you've set the DHCP IP range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.5) as before the interruption, since the other four are already leased.

(OK, maybe not ALL four of them, if your mates aren't in the habit of leaving their computers on 24/7, but...)

Install RAConfig or the utility Omega suggested on each XP box, and you should be rid of this problem, at least.

2) The AoM snafu, which always manifests itself five minutes into the game. I still think that's a DHCP artefact, especially since you mentioned that you had to reconnect in CM, too. What's your router's IP lease expiration time?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the problem where I get disconnected from my wireless network now too... but not because I'm playing a game, just surfing the net.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I can't test to see if it's an XP-related issue, since all the computers in the house are running XP.

I do know that the user with a laptop gets a flakier connection in the living room, where it states that his connection quality drops to 30-40% (from +80%).

You're pretty much correct with the first point. However, the four computers that are connected wirelessly are usually only on when the person is using them. Sometimes they leave them on downloading stuff, but not always. The only computer that is on 24/7 is the one directly connected to the router.

Oh, and I haven't actually gotten around to setting up the LAN, because I am just that lazy. I'll try and do that tomorrow though.

I can't check teh routers IP lease expiration time, since the person who has the router in his room has locked his door. Again, I'll check tomorrow. Anything else I should look for? And I don't think that the CM users have to reconnect after 5 minutes. For them, it's the once an hour thing.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps