Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My little contribution to the TV ratings

Author Topic: My little contribution to the TV ratings
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I got a call a couple weeks ago from the folks who do the Nielson Ratings to participate in helping determine what people watch on tv.

I'm not sure how I got picked by them, but starting Thursday I get to keep a log of everything I watch on TV for a week and then mail them the results.

I watch about zero tv (just dvds), but as it is I agreed to play along and I just received my journals in the mail today along with $10 (cash bribe) for helping them out. So from this Thursday thru next Wednesday, I get to "be heard" and "let the ratings people know what the audience is watching on tv" - somewhat paraphasing what I was told over the phone.

I figure I'm putting "Enterprise" down, just as my little contribution to keeping the show on the air -- mind you, without breaking a sweat [Wink] .

Anyway, I know very little about how the Nielson Ratings work, and I am not sure the sample size they are picking from, but according to the lady on the phone I represent "thousands" to "tens of thousands" of individuals in my demographic (~Male, White, 25y/o) in the state of Michigan. (I live in a metropolitan area with a population of over a million).

They seem to have played it up pretty big with the multiple phone calls to track me down, the letter indicating I will be receiving my tv journal, then the journal sent the following day - USPS priority mail.

Anyway, thought I would share that with you all, and wondered if anyone else had any thoughts or input on the inner workings of this whole scenario. [Smile]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not protestant too are you?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Religion wasn't mentioned, just number of tvs and individuals on premesis; my age, sex and generic ethnicity. I'm supposed to keep an individual log for both tvs I own, despite not having even turned the second one on in 2 months.

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tune that one into Enterprise as well [Wink]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Won't they get suspicious if the ratings double?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Log down Stargate-SG1, Stargate Atlantis and also any reruns of Futurama.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And anything Firefly related.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FG: Pity, otherwise you would fit the WASP mold. The so-called everyman of America [Wink]

I'm surprised that they still do this kind of thing. Wouldn't it be easier just to tap people with digital cable and satellite? (i.e. we've give you $10 so we can monitor your stuff electronically for a week) It would seem to be easier and more accurate.

Kinda sad though, do people actually write down on paper that they watch A Simple Life and the latest Fox "When Things Go Whatever"?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Thats what they want. I'm sure there is some sort of legality issue with "tapping" someones cable, however, TiVo does keep track of similar data....besides there has to be some way to keep track of all 5 of us who have broadcast television only beaming into our caves.

Hmm, I see "Enterprise" airs here at 6:30pm on Saturdays instead of Friday nights like elsewhere...

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this for the local radio stations once, but that week I forgot to actually listen to the radio, so I guess it didn't matter much. I earned a dollar, though.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

I would rather do it for the radio, as I listen to that almost ~9-12 hrs a day versus 9-12 hrs of TV a week (not counting DVD viewing).

My opinion of Citadel and Clear Channel broadcasting is quite low so that is where I would really like to put my comments.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Log down Stargate-SG1, Stargate Atlantis and also any reruns of Futurama.

Stargate-SG1 is the only thing I get, but I'm not a fan of that show, plus it is on when I sleep so I'm probably not going to make an effort to watch that show.

Futurama is only on cable/dtv/etal which I do not have....unfortuately, I want to be legit about this.

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
And anything Firefly related.

Same story.

I did, however, watch/put down Mutant X and Andromeda...and of course Enterprise. But thats about all of the sci-fi I have access to.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

"Mutant X and Andromeda"

...sigh...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

It's all I gots.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps