Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I went to 2005 MacWorld Expo in SF (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I went to 2005 MacWorld Expo in SF
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey - loft photos, Balaam! Loft photos!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
As to Brad Pitt: er......I guess I can say he's handsome in a deranged lunatic kinda way

Anyone who isn't insecure about his own hetrosexuality would say that Brad Pitt is obviously one of the sexiest men ever. Unless you are calling Edward Norton a big fat liar.
Er...yeah.
When I consider a man handsome, it's more like "If I looked like that I'd have sooooo many women on me..." and not "he sure has a nice ass". [Wink]

It's more idle jealousy than adoration.

You know, I was looking through some old LIFE magazines from the mid-fifties (for illustration references and coffee table reading) and was struck by how much people's facial features have changed in just 50 years or so.
Not just what we consider attractive, a lot of the adverage guys photographed a markedly...intresting looking.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking about Macs and bad style, a video of the 1984 presentation of the first Mac has recently been recovered from a private Mac-geek's archives. Behold the wonder of the GUI.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wonder of the Xerox'ed GUI.

(Because... get it? GET IT?)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
That's what hubs are for.

Ah, but that takes away from the space saving feature of the Mac Mini, doesn't it? Eh? EH?

Gods, now I sound like Liam. I need a vacation.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
The wonder of the Xerox'ed GUI.

(Because... get it? GET IT?)

No, I don't get it. [Confused]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xerox made the first GUI; Apple got into some sort of partnership/licensing agreement that let them observe Xerox's work on GUI and copy it. When Apple sued Microsoft over Microsoft's GUI (claiming theft), Xerox sued Apple (claiming to the be the rightful owner of the terms and features that Apple was suing Microsoft for).

Don't know how much faith you put into it, but Wikipedia has this to say:
quote:
Jobs and a number of Apple engineers visited Xerox PARC in December 1979, three months after the Lisa and Macintosh projects had begun. After hearing about the pioneering GUI technology being developed at Xerox PARC from former Xerox employees such as Jef Raskin, Steve Jobs negotiated a visit to see the Xerox Alto computer and Smalltalk development tools in exchange for Apple stock options. There is debate over the degree of impact that this visit had on Apple's products -- Apple's GUIs ended up working and looking differently from the PARC GUIs, and GUIs had been an active area of computing research since the late 1960s -- but it is clear that the Xerox visits were extremely influential on the development of the Lisa and Macintosh.
And here for the court case Apple v. Microsoft.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
No, I don't get it.

I got it. It wasn't that funny, though. Also, XEROX Star GUI was butt-ugly.

I don't know what most people's desktops are like, Siggy, but I know a lot of people who use USB hubs and they're usually pretty dinky (certainly compared to you average tower case).

You're just trying to come with a new excuse not to switch. But it's too bad, because I just vetoed your reason. HA! Now you have to buy a mac. And all your friends will laugh at you. Because you're different. And that's bad.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diiiiiiferent!
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Relaaax gui, you need to lay down, get some rest.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
I don't know what most people's desktops are like, Siggy, but I know a lot of people who use USB hubs and they're usually pretty dinky (certainly compared to you average tower case).

My desktop has icons and Trillian on it. I hear that's usual for most people. [Razz]

In all seriousness, I use a laptop. It beats a Mac Mini and a tower desktop is both terms of size and extra wires. For extra wires are bad when you have a cat. Besides, my desktop is a semicircle with a 1 ft. radius. Reason for veto vetoed!

quote:
And all your friends will laugh at you. Because you're different. And that's bad.
Actually, all my friends laugh at me already. I suspect it's because I dress a clown. People just can help but giggle at my bright red size 22s. Or the big red nose. But the laughter stops when I whip out my battleaxe and go to town. I'm a Dahmer Clown, and I get the last laugh.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps