Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » a somber reflection (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: a somber reflection
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Imagine where we would be now if we spent all that money on welfare..

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even half on Welfare would do it, for those who wanted off the bottom.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another somber reflectionL: If able people got off their asses and got a job, I wouldn't have to support them through tax deductions. I hate Welfare. GET A JOB AND QUIT HAVING BABIES I CAN'T AFFORD TO FEED!

hehe

------------------
(This message has been edited by the Website Enforcement Authority, and rigoruosly inspected by 12.)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked that Dilbert cartoon where Dogbert decided to make people take a test and get a license before they could have a baby. When the people failed he told them they'd "have to leave some body parts at the door". *LOL*

------------------
"We both said 'I really love you.' The Shriners loaned us cars. We raced up and down the sidewalk twenty thousand million times."
-They Might Be Giants, "She's an Angel"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dhezus Khryst!

We ALREADY spend more $ on Welfare than we do on Space Exploration, by like a factor of TWENTY!

In fact, if you break down the US budget, (and I'm sure I did this in an old thread) about 1/4 goes to paying off the interest on the debt, a little under 1/4 to defense, another 1/4 to social security, and most of the last 1/4 goes to other social programs, education, agriculture, etc.

NASA's Budget is around 1/2 of 1 percent.. on a GOOD year.

we're already pouring money down the sinkhole that is "social programs," and we NEVER get anything back for it. On the other hand, conservative estimates show that we get $3-6 back for every $1 we spend on NASA R&D programs.

Skylab gave us smoke detectors.
Viking gave us a treatment for juvenile diabetes.
The Shuttle's given us a scanner that can classify tumors 1000 times faster than the old methods.
And there's about TEN THOUSAND other humanity-benefiting things that have come out of tech developed for the space program, from shatterproof windshields to better A/C to impact resistant bike helmets, to better MRE's.

What these shortsighted people who say "take money from space program, save the slums" don't realize is that it doesn't friggin' WORK that way!

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely agree with the budget remark. If we had spent more money on these humanity-benefitting programs, rather than supporting wars we don't fight and people who have babies just to get more money from the government, we would probably be living on Mars right now.

------------------
All we are is dust in the wind, dude....
Dust, Wind, DUDE!!!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you don't even have to look for the right words. Sometimes you stumble across them even before you begin to look. I found this quote-of-the-day at http://www.herdthinners.com/ .

<Quote>
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."

-- Johnny Hart

</Quote>

------------------
"Someday your ship will come in...and you'll be at the airport "
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited July 19, 1999).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarcastic insight and commentary at its very best.

------------------
Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
~Groucho Marx, "Animal Crackers"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the half I was refering to, and although it may be dangerous to my health to speak for RW, we were refering to half, or in his case all, of the money spent on war, I was thinking of Veitnam. One of JFK's people was on C-span this weekend, something recorded before Jr died, so he wasn't mentioned. John Kenneth Galbrieth said he believed JFK would have found a way out of Nam given time. I have always read that JFK increased numbers of american adviseres there, but was looking for a way out at the same time. Given all that we know now about his presidency, I tend to believe it.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps