Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » This morning's news..

Author Topic: This morning's news..
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... North Korea has a nuclear weapon, a newborn baby was thrown out of a moving car in Florida, and Chuck and Camilla are getting married. And somehow, Matt Lauer still manages to interupt everyone he talks to with moronic comments on what they're trying to say.

I'm going to start watching movies while I eat.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might actually start to do that myself...the amount of sanctimonious jibber-jabber that has been on the news about Chuck and Camilla remarrying has been giving me heartburn.

Exactly why people think their opinion on why the prospect of their marriage is THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO CIVILISATION EVER is vitally important escapes me.

Where's the antacid?

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally if they just had a hitman kill Camilla's ex then everything would be fine and dandy. Well as far as the Church of England are concerned, and their opinion is so vital to the future of British society isn't it?

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Florida, only babies that can roll with the punches make the grade.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prince William: "So THAT'S what you had my mommy offed for?"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marauth:
Incidentally if they just had a hitman kill Camilla's ex then everything would be fine and dandy. Well as far as the Church of England are concerned, and their opinion is so vital to the future of British society isn't it?

Oh yeah, then everything would be peachy for them! :-) As for their opinion, in mine it's about as important as Charles actually becoming King...the way some people have been talking, you would think the Monarch actually *did* something that mattered, and that this marriage would somehow seriously derail British society.

The guy's what? Approaching his 60s or in them already? Ok, I don't agree with the idea of the Royalty but I'm not that cruel that I would insist a man be barred from marrying someone he obviously has deep feelings for. I suppose I just don't hold with all these people on the news and the "have your say" section of the BBC website (to name one) that predict the end of the world over this one.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's ironic this is the same thing that led to Elizabeth II's uncle abdicating - he married a yankee woman who was divorced. You'd think Charles would remember and maybe wait till he's in power, then marry Camilla and change the church law (he would be head of the CofE then)

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The inner workings of the House of Windsor is, like world politics in general, are rather childish and boring. If the man has been in love with the lady for all this time, why didn't he just marry her in the first place. Bleh. There. Problem solved.

I pretty much wanted to start a conversation on how bad an interviewer Matt Lauer is...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't feel too bad...the baby story was false.

--------------------
Meh

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA!
Floridians DONT kill our babies for fun!

GO figure.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Good grief...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would the Church of England have anything against divorce, anyway? I mean, the right to divorce, especially among the royalty, was its major founding principle, after all.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've gathered, it's not so much that they're divorced as it is that her ex-husband is still alive. What difference that makes (if any) I have no answer for.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know about Anglicans, but, if they're anything like Catholics in that regard: As long as the ex-spouse is still alive, if the church doesn't consider divorce to be proper, then they consider the couple still to be married. Thus, re-marriage would constitute polygamy. If the ex-spouse dies, the divorce is still meaningless to the church, but they now consider her a widow. Thus, re-marriage isn't a problem. But, as I said, that's how it works for Catholics. Anglicans may be different.

Besides, the fact remains that, when Henry VIII married Anne Boleyn, Catherine of Aragon was still alive, and, when he married both Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr, Anne of Cleves was still alive.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forcing the abdication of Edward VIII for planning to marry a divorcee was merely a ploy anyway. The Establishment found him to be too much of a meddler.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps