Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » VCDs and how they mock me...

Author Topic: VCDs and how they mock me...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I've got an AVI I downloaded of a television program, and I'd like to burn a VCD of it so it can be played in a DVD player. The problem is that the AVI has frame dimensions of 720x432. In other words, it's widescreen but without the black bars at the top and bottom. I've got a program to convert it to MPEG, but, when I burn it to the CD and play it on the TV, the image is stretched vertically (or compressed horizontally, if you like) to fill the TV's aspect ratio. So everything ends up skinny.

Does anyone know of a program (a free one, obviously) that I can use to add the black bars to fix the aspect ratio? Or, if there's a better solution, I'd be open to that. Thanks.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought VirtualDub had a feature for that, but I've never used it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Open your file, go the Video menu, select Filters, click on Add, pick the "resize" one from the list, press the OK button, check the "expand frame and letterbox image" box, enter the value you need for 4:3 in the "Frame height" field, hit OK again, and re-encode.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I belive the software I have does that, but I don't remember what it is (Its on my PC and I'm using my Mac)

I found it at http://www.videohelp.com/ though

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I got VirtualDub and did what you said, and I think that's done it. It didn't like the audio track, so I ended up with some synch problems, but I think I've got it sorted out. Thanks.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps