Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » First Extrasolar Planet Photographed! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First Extrasolar Planet Photographed!
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ion propulsion is nice, but it takes a really long time to accelerate, and at most its specific impulse is only about 10 times that of chemical propulsion. In other words, it will (eventually) go about 10 times faster than a chemical rocket with the same mass of fuel. Still won't get you up to a significant percentage of light speed. AFAIK, only two spacecraft have used ion propulsion as their main drive system - Deep Space 1 and SMART 1.

And Jason, after you develop your FTL drive and claim the planets, I'd like to see them try to come up there after you and *make* you pay taxes on them.

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'll probably impose some sort of "return tax"...or a tax on oxygen.

In my city, a lobbiest recently summoned the mayor to cast a deciding vote on a bill in their favor.
Believe me, the most creative fuckings anywhere are done right here in South Florida- they'd tax me on something.

I agree that Ion drive takes a looong time to cycle up, but if we'd only develop the technology a little...
Imagine everyone today still driving Model A cars.
That's where Ion Drive tech is, but NASA seems to think it's not a major field of research.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you base this on?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?
The lack of real development on the Ion Drive idea?
NASA had passed on funding it several times in the 80's, then they finally did the Deep Space 1 probe, the tech is actually proven, and (so far as I know) NASA has not taken up the cause since.

How can they really, with no budget (compared to the heyday of Regan-era funding)?

PBS had a good program on it about a year or two ago: mabye it's on NOVA's website...

I did find a cool site about the general tech though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heyday of the "Regan" era?

Sure.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, comparitivly.
Currently we have Bush making grandiose proclimations that he knows will never happen.
Everyone knows that's bullshit.

With Regan, you at least believed some of the lies (like SDI).

Besides, we got a lot from NASA in the 80's/early 90's (yeah, post-Regan, but still) that they'd never be able to do today.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

(My sarcasm is on the heyday part, not the misspelling.)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, no cracks about how it was about as bad as the Goneril era, but things picked up during the Cordelia era?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU GET THE CROWN!

(Also, re: the fuel tank problem: there's "capable", and there's "capable", you know? Like, there's no law that says I am not capable of reaching .1c on my bicycle, only down-to-Earth concerns such as air and ground resistance, muscle cramp, and a general aversion to physical exercise. Yes.)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps