Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Pope is going... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Pope is going...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really bummed about this: as pontiffs go, he was the best.

....I cant really fault him for the whole "church molestation thing" as he may have known nothing about the reassignments....
I wonder how much daily operations decisions are really is presented to the Pope for consideration.
Particularly an extremely aged Pope.

Anyone know who's up for his position?

I recall someone from the year-before-last speaking against gay marriages that was supposed to be a likely candidate.
He scared me by quoting Leviniticus (sp?, you know, the book o' hate and killin' in the Bible).

I have heard nothing lately though.

I nominate Sigfried for Pope: he's basically moral and not getting laid so... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leviticus.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm off to Poland in a few weeks, and (slightly selfishly), part of me is worried that he'll hang on until then and then die when we get there. Which would be sad (cause he's dead and all), and bad (because everywhere would shut down).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My papal name shall be Pope George Ringo.

My sole surviving grandparent, my grandmother, is upset. She's devoutly Catholic, and she hasn't been able to watch the news. I'm saddened by the news, but John Paul II really hasn't been doing very well in some time.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Leviticus.

Thanks.
Still not on my reading list or anything though. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are you going to do in Poland, Liam?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visit Auchfitz. Enjoy cheap drink. Not at the same time.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, we Poles are not feeling particulary happy right now, as you can imagine. Main TV stations switched to pope-centric programs, for example showing many different people (soccer players) praying for pope.

It is sad to see him go...

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if the pope dies, does that mean god hates catholics?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's find out. Pope John Paul II has now passed on.

Safe travels, dude. You done well.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/02/pope.dies/index.html

This summer is World Youth Day 2005 in K�ln, Germany. The John Paul II started this thing, and he usually attends a large celebration every 3 years... I wonder if its going to happen this year?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am Catholic, though I disagreed with many of his policies (brith control, abortion, things of that line) and agreed with many others (anti-war, anti-death penalty, apologies to Muslims/Jews). So I will say that his passing is sad in the regards that we have lost an influential voice for peace in the world, but I hope this time the church will pick a less-conservative pontiff (but how likely is that?).

And, since any Catholic man can technically be pope...I could, in theory, become the next pope... [Eek!]

--------------------
Meh

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree almost point for point with Veers on this matter, though I renounced Catholicism a few years back I still agreed with many of Karol Wojtyla's views against death-penalty, anti-communist reconciliation between the faiths especially with muslims.

OTOH I couldn't stand some of the hardline conservative values he espoused - anti-gay, anti-birth-control anti-abortion as I understand it his goal upon accession was to counter the decades of liberalisation (i.e. progress) that had been made within the church and for that I'll not miss him.

I think the Catholic church doesn't recognise apostacy so technically I think I'm eligible, fun though it would be to be the first atheist pope [Eek!] they haven't picked a pope who wasn't one of the cardinals since 1378 so I doubt it'll be anyone outside of their club this time either. As I understand the top-runner at the moment is a nigerian hardliner, can't recall the name of the top of my head though.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Sweet: I'll start getting Nigerian Pope scams via fax now....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...I hope this time the church will pick a less-conservative pontiff (but how likely is that?)"

Well, the last time they did that, someone killed him almost the next day, so...

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps