Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I Got Raided (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I Got Raided
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Hmmm... maybe I should start wearing something to bed...

No shit! I dont know how well I'd fight back in the buff.

I wonder how many cops have been shot by people thinking they were being home-invaded/robbed/whatever.

These guys did bust in unannounced, right?

You should contact a lawyer for advice and have them find out why the police raided you: If there's something bad going on where you work, you need to know- if there's no reason, you have a lawsuit.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the very least, you can lodge a complaint about being forced to sit outside in cold, freezing weather without the appropriate clothing. Based on the pictures you've posted before of your warehouse, I don't see what the problem could have been with sitting in the large open area downstairs.

That's a bummer of a story, though. Luckily, nothing bad happened (aside from the cold spell last night).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Gas is up to US$2.40/gallon
ROFL, I wish fuel here was so cheap!

Come over here for a while before you complain about something that's not worth complaining about!

OTOH, here you also won't find police ransacking your place in the middle of the night without proper warrant or justification.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, never complain about local conditions, but instead keep in mind that those conditions that affect your life are different in places where you're not at. It makes perfect sense.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, it sure is dusty and dry on Mars. I wish it would rain there.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phht. Try getting Pizza delivered to Europa.

Gas here is abut $2.20: I just dropped $10 getting to Miami and back today.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I believe (and take this for what it's worth from my Law & Order world) the police need either probable cause or a warrant to enter property. If they had time to call a back-up team, they may have had time to get a warrant, which in turn might've given them the right to search through all your crap. But, they would probably be required to show you the warrant, or at least tell you they had one. I can't iamgine they had one, though, as an open door hardly seems justification for a search warrant.

My guess is that they entered on "probable" cause, which most likely gave them the ability to search the premises for reasons of securing it, but likely not to search through possesions. Anything they found in plain sight, though, such as all that bomb making equipment and survivalist literature you have laying about, would've been fair game though [Razz]

According to my Public Defender wife, the police do not necessarily need a search warrant in that they could have been acting on a tip such as: �We saw a person break into this place and there may be someone in danger.�

On the other hand, she seemed to feel that the �we saw the door open� excuse for the search was rather flimsy in that she felt it highly unlikely that the police would spot such a thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Bad for you: letting that cop go for your wallet.

True, but not so much for the �they could plant something� reason, but what my lawyer seems to be saying is that short of you giving them permission to search for something like a wallet, the police are limited to a plain sight search and would not be allowed to search the box even if it looked like a stash box.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Sol & Wiz: nice sarcasm there, but seriously. I mean, of course compared to what fuel prices in the US used to be they are now relatively high.
But IMHO they are still far to cheap to make people change their driving habits.
When I was on holiday in the US last October, I didn't see any change to 1997, when I was there the last time. People don't even walk to shops around the corner or to anything that's further away than their own street!

With fuel prices like ours you think about whether you really need to drive to wherever you want to go!

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Jay the Obscure:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Bad for you: letting that cop go for your wallet.

True, but not so much for the �they could plant something� reason, but what my lawyer seems to be saying is that short of you giving them permission to search for something like a wallet, the police are limited to a plain sight search and would not be allowed to search the box even if it looked like a stash box.
Hmmm...I'm "protected" by one of the most corrupt law enforcment agencies in the country.
It clouds my perspective a bit.

For laughs, look up articles on Ken Jeanne- the sheriff of Broward County.
...and you thought our elections were bad.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God Bless America. Grab a gun and join the militia, I'd say.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's what *I* plan to do, anyway! [Wink]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironically, the purpose of a militia is to defend the country...
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... from the corrupt government.

At least, that's what the anti-American propaganda machine instructs me.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps