Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A Light Gaming Notebook

Author Topic: A Light Gaming Notebook
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it kinda sounds like an oxymoron... but I'm looking for a light gaming notebook to replace my Gateway M505X. Anyone have suggestions that weigh less than 8lbs?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I've been busy as of late.

The best type of notebook you're looking for would have to come from a barebone, that is, you buy the shell, as well as a hard drive, processor, memory, and voila, you have a notebook.

The reason I suggest this is that usually notebooks with powerful graphics solutions usually use the Pentium 4 (not Centrino) and as a result are really bulky.

Some barebones you could consider:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=25&l3=0&model=533&modelmenu=1
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=25&l3=0&model=388&modelmenu=1

If not a barebone, then try a Ferrari from Acer. But these babies are expensive, and also a bit heavier.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I would just buy the components like a desktop and build it myself? How much does it cost anyway?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends.

Most individual computer stores actually assemble the laptop for you for about the same price. My opinion is that these types of notebooks tend to be a little cheaper then buying a brand name from a major retail chain. But, as I said earlier, retail notebooks that use mobile processors with a powerful graphics solution are not only expensive, but also hard to find. You probably may be saving a few hundred bucks if you go to the individual dealer.

Best I can tell you is that in Toronto, a standard Centrino package (1.6 GHz, 512 MB DDR, 40 GH hard drive) can cost as low as $1000 Canadian (if you know where to look). Getting a notebook with, say a Mobile Radeon 9700 will cost around $250-300 more.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

I'll have to find a dealer in the Los Angeles area then...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps