Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Why can't Europe see the same film when the US does? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why can't Europe see the same film when the US does?
Albertus
Member # 1635

- posted      Profile for Albertus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that products have to be featured/evaluated, but why is there such a lag in feature films from the US being shown in Europe?

The only thing I can think of is that the Producers look at what the US market likes, and then tries to alter the film to what the rest of the world would like to see.

Actually, most of the world would like to see the US just stop getting in the way. and realease the damm film!!

So, American Blockbusters will continue.

Can anybody think of a film where the US didn't win?

[Big Grin] :

Albertus

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything not in English. Reading sucks [Wink]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In some ways, Donnie Darko didn't 'win' in the US. It was a very insignificant movie, until it somehow gained fans in the UK. Then in went back to the US, and it became a rather succesful movie.

Hollywood movies are largely made for the American public. Right have to sold and deals have to be made before it reaches Europe. I've never heard of Hollywood adjusting a movie for the benefit of the rest of the world. It's easier to change the rest of the world to accept US entertainment, I think...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rest of the world must always bow to Amerika in all things!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US lost in the premise to Red Dawn. I think that's the situation in a lot of post WWIII-type movies.

B.J.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because then the obvious superiority that is the American consciousness can be aroused and used to vanquish the conquering, evil Communists. Thus, evil though America loses, America wins. Hoo-hah, my fellow Patriots! Hoo-hah! Glory be!

Umm... yeah.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We only lost in Red Dawn because Colorado was invaded by...Cubans.
I dont really follow the logistics of that, but there you are.

WOLVERINES!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also the time it takes to translate and dub a film which slows down the release time in non-English speaking countries.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Plus...it takes weeks for the film to tavel overseas in the wooden sailing veseels that ply the trade routes betwixt the New and Old world.

And, of course....Video Pirates on the high seas.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yar!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tasha?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's more to the world than America? I thought everyone had immigrated to the north american continent and abandoned the rest of the earth.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

...to THE MARTIANS!!!!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the common cold killed all them off, we abandoned it to the wombles.

The only localisation that I'm completely baffled by is the UK. What exactly do they have to do to the film before letting us see it? It's not like a computer game where they have to give us all the foreign languages we'll never use. Are they redubbing swearwords or something? So every film we get arse instead of ass?

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hey, it's not as though we get to see Dr. Who y'know.

Or any of those other amazing sci-fi programs you make and...

oh.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps