Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Another reason I like this guy's site...

Author Topic: Another reason I like this guy's site...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just look at the artwork he puts on his page:

And that's just the banner! If that doesn't illustrate how goofy the 50's were I don't know how to convey the concept to you.

Art?

No.

Entertainment?

Yup!

--Baloo

P.S.: I just read "The Bleat". Apparently he will be changing the front-page banner on a weekly basis. Cool!

------------------
"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
--David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited July 12, 1999).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Meet George Jetson"!!

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notice how she is sitting on that rocket. That is difficult. A lesser person would be swept into the air in an instant.

------------------
Aren't you glad I don't supply a link to my homepage here?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, but look how he's got his legs wrapped around it. That's the real trick... *L*

------------------
"Sometimes you really dig a girl the moment you kiss her,
And then you get distracted by her older sister..."
-The Lovin' Spoonful, "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 1950's were as sexually repressed a time in America as any since the Victorian era.

[Dons wire-rimmed glasses, false beard, and assumes an atrocious "Churman accent".]

Let's examine this picture carefully:

This picture is obviously a subliminal representation of foreplay.

1. Notice the couple. Each wears an expression of sensual pleasure that is far greater than simple happiness, yet stops short of orgasmic bliss.

2. Notice the rocket. This phallic symbol obviously represents the prowess (real or imagined) of the male rider and, because it is transporting it's passengers, it also represents transports of sensual pleasure.

3. Notice the rocket again. The rocket is still thrusting (and has not exploded). Need I say more?

4. Notice the female passenger. Her arms are around her male companion, yet she seems unwilling (or unable) to hold him closer than arm's length and her legs are crossed. She is either sexually repressed or a lesbian. (Or perhaps the male has B.O.)

5. Notice the purse. It's closed. Obviously, she is excited, but unwilling to consummate this experience. The artist may just as well have given her a parachute, since she is apparently unready to travel the full distance with her male partner.

See? Even when they were creating subliminal sexual innuendo, they couldn't bring themselves to "go all the way".

--Baloo

------------------
""We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."
--Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Looks at Baloo)

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*blink, blink*

------------------
Berkoff: "He's threatening to kill me. What should I do?"
Michael: "Don't let him."
- La Femme Nikita

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And they wonder why I thought the interpretation of symbolism I learned in English class was a crock... :-)

------------------
"I think, therefore I go fast. (Cogito ergo zoom)"
-Frank Gerratana, July 12, 1999

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Looks at Baloo then at his current situation*

Well, that was...interesting and somewhat frightening. To think that that's what I may have to look foward to when I make my decision in a few minutes...

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*eyes Baloo strangely*

Symbolism 101

Elim: "Now what does the tea cup in 'Year of Hell, Part I' symbolise, class?"

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps