Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Investing Advice Needed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Investing Advice Needed
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm posting this for a friend of mine, who's a lucky bastard with a job and some spare change to toss around like the interstate playboy that he is.
quote:
I came into a large (well, large for me) amount of cash about 6 weeks ago & I have about $3000 left. It's been sitting in a savings account since I got it but I've been thinking about investing, say, $1000 of it. talking with a few poeple including a "money guy" I know has steered me towards perhaps trying out mutual funds with Fidelity Investments.

My question is: have any of you ever done anything like this, any kind of stock playing? I know things like what an IPO is & the like, probably just enough to get myself into trouble. I plan on using fidelity's assistance in all this, but when it comes to finances I like to be conservative & get all the inofrmation I can.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Renderking Fisk
Member # 1628

- posted      Profile for Renderking Fisk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this SF related? Do you want my answer as a SF fan or as a family man/conservitive investor?

As a SF fan, I would buy all the prop replica's I've ever had my eye on.

I would even invest in a start up company that was making SF props.

--------------------
The Fedora Chronicles News related to The Golden Era Update every day: World War II - Music - Art Deco and Style - Classic Movies, Science Fiction and Film Noir � Space Exploration- Vintage Cars � Social and Political Commentary.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he's more interested in things like stocks, bonds, that sort of thing. He implies that he's looking for something that might return a little extra money to his wallet each month or so with the goal being that he can tell his boss to shove the job he currently has up his posterior.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Renderking Fisk
Member # 1628

- posted      Profile for Renderking Fisk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't invest in anything that will bring that kind of return quickly with only $1,000 that I know of.

He might want to think about opening up an Roth IRA or invest in Gold Coins.

--------------------
The Fedora Chronicles News related to The Golden Era Update every day: World War II - Music - Art Deco and Style - Classic Movies, Science Fiction and Film Noir � Space Exploration- Vintage Cars � Social and Political Commentary.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not very glamourous, but my limited knowledge recommends something more conservative like savings accounts or bonds. $1000 is not that much money, so stock/mutual fund commisions will probably be a non-trivial factor in whatever gains you may get.
Thats just my non-expert quick thought on the matter.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can invest in Flare Sci-Fi Forums by sending donations to Charles & Tim & Liam &....oh wait...that wouldn't buy ANY of us a coke even...

I would suggest a money market checking account. Find one that pays weekly. You can probably earn 1% or so and you always have the money available for when you find that awesome-can't-live-without doohickey you REALLy want. A G just isn't going to do much for you in the current market unless you're someone willing to take the time, effort, and RISK in trying to flip properties.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One word: plastics.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(They make it possible.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
investing? that's, like, stuff you do with money, right? like when you have really really really much of it and can afford to lose some, right? just wondering and thanks :-)
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He should buy stocks in a uranium exploration company. 'Cause when they find a vein...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of a diposed Nigerian prince that needs to smuggle his fortune into the states....your friend could make millions! All he needs is your pal's account number so he can transfer the money in...

I also got a letter saying that if I sent $5 to the sender, then made 30 copies of the letter and sent it out to 30 strangers, we'd all be wealthy by next month.
Your pal could just send out 10,000 of those letters and become a billionaire!

Really, I reccomend a weekend in Vegas with hookers and booze- the return will be cherished memories of the time he led a life less ordinary.

Or a prison sentence.

Either way, money comes and money goes, but experiences make you who you are.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Either way, money comes and money goes, but experiences make you who you are.

Experience is what you get when you were really hoping for something else.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or when you kill the Ice Giant with your Prestige Level 15 Shadowdancer.

XP LOLZ +2800

You may not rest at this time.

MASTERWORK LONGSWORD!

I'ma smack some D&D nerds.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a level 15 Shadowdancer once....she rocked my world and dumped me a week later.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say go with mutual funds or this interesting CD (I'd be putting some money in it if I weren't spending it on a planet ticket to India). Inflation in the US is about 3% so anything less than that is worth crap.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps