Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Katrina

Author Topic: Katrina
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all -

For those who might recall - I moved last year from the safe comfy confines of Iceland to....southern Mississippi.

The family and I got out Saturday and so have been crashing at friends in Florida (irony abounds about running to FL to avoid a storm). Anyhow text message rumors seem to indicate I still have a house, so a coworker and I are heading in tomorrow to look around. Loading my gear and anti-looter kit now.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, TK...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Katrina and The Waves joke somewhere in all of this, but damned if I can make it.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, Toadkiller. From the news reports, southern Mississippi bore the brunt of the Katrina's fury, so I hope that your house is still in one piece. I hope your area wasn't too badly hit; I hear some little towns along the coast (Bay St. Louis and Pass Christian, in particualr) are completely gone.

It weird seeing all these reports out of New Orleans, Biloxi, Slidell, Gulf Shores, Mobile, and the like. Last June, my best friend's wedding was held in Destin, Florida. Another friend and I drove from Houston to Destin the morning of the wedding to attend. We took I-10 all the way down, so I passed through all those devastated areas. It's sad to see some familiar spots destroyed and damaged on the news.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a picture of the hurricane when it was still in the Gulf of Mexico.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Funny, the damage doesn't look as bad from out here." But then I grew up watching cartoons.

I don't know whether not hearing from him is a good or a bad sign. Let this be a lesson to us all. Despite the obvious advantages in doing so, do not move from Iceland to Mississippi.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you can be darned sure I won't do it again!

House has only minor damage, power and the almighty DSL is on and things are coming along. We have four refugees living with us - a coworker and his wife and two kittens who washed up (probably literally) down the road...

Mike

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toadkiller:
Well you can be darned sure I won't do it again!

House has only minor damage, power and the almighty DSL is on and things are coming along. We have four refugees living with us - a coworker and his wife and two kittens who washed up (probably literally) down the road...

Mike

tis very good to hear, sir. [Smile] pics. please.

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an interesting interactive map of the region.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind that, we want pics chez Toadkiller, with his soggy houseguests!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Toadkiller
Member # 425

I hastily posted some pictures on our page - I was in the process of redoing it prior to the storm so the rest is hosed but try this:

http://homepage.mac.com/kublers/PhotoAlbum13.html

I've been working on getting potable water back on line (Edit: I'm a public health worker). Things are getting better in Mississippi....

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the whole area was filled with water up to the level of the high-water mark!?! The computer etc was underwater - it looks like the kitchen was more underwater than elsewhere. The fridge has toppled over but the alcohol bottles haven't?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Toadkiller
Member # 425

Very random damage all over the house. The computer was actually set up on the counter later, just before the picture. It had been in the bathtub in a large plastic tub. When we got there the tub was flipped over on the floor near the bathroom door and the computer was full of mud.

We're guessing that the fridge floated and that the bottles didn't, though there were various and sundry other things scattered around the house and yard. Interestingly enough one of those glass "biosphere" things was washed out of the house and found intact outside the house with the plants and shrimp still alive inside. They must have had quite the ride.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, pussycats! Looks like the damage is only cosmetic which is good, but I'm guessing you'll have a survey done just in case?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps