Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I had to take out a gas loan today... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I had to take out a gas loan today...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and if your backward country is still using the empirical system
High time to switch to the new wishful thinking standard.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me, Tricky... Any ozzies on here willing to do some legwork (real or virtual) and see if they can hunt down a used '05 Ford Falcon (which we don't get over here in the States -- we're stuck with the *expletives deleted* Taurus)? Or at least give me a notion of price ranges?

GM is doing a pilot program in the Washington, D.C., area with hydrogen cars and fuelling stations, but nothing major yet. I also recommend a good skim through web sites like this one, this one, and this one.

All I know is I want all my vehicles either have hydrogen turbines under the hood, or else have the existing ICE modified to accept something replenishable (or at least a mix), like biodiesel or some kind of ethanol-methane miasma...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the problem with alternative fuels, there's a huge infrastructure change needed, and knowone whats to be backing the betamax of the bunch. Although there are a lot of LPG stations in the UK...

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tricky:
...but the US gets different Fords. for instance, the US is still selling the old Focus, where as we have had the new for over a year...

Keep in mind that we didn't even get the Focus in the first place until it had been out for a few years in the UK. And that NA gets the crappy Ford car range.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

tricky
Member # 1402

Yeah, but this wasn't introducing a whole new model, this was choosing to continue making the old model for the US rather than just make the new model for all markets.
Ford europe made an automotive first this year by cancelling production on the Ford Puma whilst it still had a waiting list. First time any manufacure has done that.

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn. The Puma is a nice car.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...are your "SUVs" the same as what we call "4-wheel drives" - usually used to drive out-back or along beaches or through flooded creeks in the rainforest... but generally used by mothers to pick their children up from school?"

No. SUVs are cars that only look like they can do those things but really have the off-road capability of a freight train, 4-wheel drives are cars that are actually capable of them.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tricky:

Unfortunatly the number of hybrids is due to lack of customer interest. The batteries etc reduce practical space, so people go for standard cars. The industry is in crisis, they can't sell normal cars at a profit, let alone taking a 'risk' with something consumers don't seem that interested in, and without investment, the technology will not mature enough for it to fit into standard shapes without affecting practicality.
You'll notice it's the non american/european brands that are bringing out hybrids, i.e the one's making money?

What do you mean no consumer interest? There's been long wait lists for hybrids for at least the past year or so, when gas prices first started rising. Maybe it's just California, but Priuses here have become real common these days.

--------------------
life creation in progress

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dirty hippies
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Damn. The Puma is a nice car.

No it isn't, at least not here - it's a fucking Fiesta with fancier bodywork.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

tricky
Member # 1402

And the Austin Martin DB7 was a Jag XJS with fancier body work and bigger engine. The Jag X type is a Ford mondaeo, the Range Rover Sport isn't a Range Rover, it's a Discovery 3 etc. etc. etc. (although I userd to own a Capri 2.8, which is basically a ford cortina)

I would still say hybrids are still considered a niche product, and not something the average joe public has on his list. More people are aware of them, but the P150 truck was until a month ago the top selling car in the US. Here we go more for smaller cars, but I don't think the primus is outselling the Ford fiesa or focus. I also find it anoying that they don't make the hybrids plugin (I.e. allowing you to use the mains to rechange them, not just the petrol engine) as the manufactures don't want customers to think they need recharging, as that would be a negative in consumers minds.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least until the gas prices started going up, there wasn't any real incentive for buying a hybrid or any other alternative fuel vehicle. There are tax breaks, but they are a lot more expensive than a traditional gas-powered vehicle. Because of that, you wouldn't save any money over the life of the vehicle. With the severe rise in gas prices, I think that people are starting to realize that the gas-powered vehicles no longer command a financial advantage. Unfortunately, it will take a while for the car manufacturers to catch up and offer a significant number of the alternative fuel vehicles.

@tricky's signature: What, Pratchett has never heard of "The Evil Dead" or "The Evil Dead 2"?

B.J.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Japanese car companies have been developing hybrids for a while. It's American companies have ignored development, since there's more money in oil.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

tricky
Member # 1402

And european, although Morgan has a hybrid sports car under development, BMW and Merc have only recently announced hybrid plans, and that in collabouration with others.

I wonder if TP still haunts the fan bbs, we could ask him...

P.S. Only on flare could I mention I owned a Capri and no-one blinks!

--------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can afford to drive a BMW or Mercedes you could probably afford expensive gas. Unless you were stupid and took out a loan/lease you could barely pay for.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps