Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » With your eyessssessss: Something about video cables (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: With your eyessssessss: Something about video cables
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there some reason why he couldn't plug the Cube into his VIVO socket on his graphics card and then output through his computer to his monitor? And if not, why not damnit?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the "I" part of VIVO only accepts RCA or S-Video signals, and S-Video is only slightly less pleasant to your eyes than dropping pure acid in them is.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buh? They keep on touting S-Video as the ultimate in picture quality around here...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If here is Canada, then both component and HDMI would be available here and both should have better picture quality than S-video.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect Cartman may have been exaggerating. A little. S-video is OK, but a pretty far cry from "ultimate." I have no experience with the quality you'd get using S-Video through VIVO. But I expect it wouldn't be that much difference from what he's using now. It does have the advantage being very inexpensive.

Since the PAL video his gamecube is sending is 720 x 576, and his monitor is presumably so much more than that, the video is going to be scaled. Which isn't even getting into interlacing. Maybe his VIVO is superawesome and will make it work perfect.

Here's a little story: I bought a ViewSonic N6 (the ViewSonic N4 is very similar) Video processor a year ago to use with my Barco bigscreen (the VGA port being the only one worth using). It takes standard video and upscales it to a usable resolution for computer monitors. In my case it took whatever I fed it (even 480p from PS2/X-box/DVD) and upscaled it to 1024X768 at 60Hz. Now fortunately the Barco is ancient and a little fuzzy (CRTs mind you), but it looked great, and for a little more than 200 dollars I had myself a 68" bigscreen. (Until a fuse blew on it and I can't even sort out where that might be on the blasted thing.) Of course for the money you'd spend on a ViewSonic, you could get a smallish TV. But if he's dead set on not wanting another screen, it might be a way to go.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem isn't with the scaling or anything like that. He's playing Paper Mario and their are just weird swabs of colour all over the place. It's like the difference between using a RGB SCART lead and a bog standard lead minus a million. I'll try and take a picture and see if anyone can see what might be causing it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps