Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Where'd all the Cyberspace go?

Author Topic: Where'd all the Cyberspace go?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if maybe someone here know what ever became of VRML. I have a book by Mark Pesce. I bought it in 1995. That was going to be THE shit. Talking MATRIX sites, virtual reality, Demi Moore horking your flow. And then it was gone... I know it was terrible, but was Lawnmower Man that bad?

So now everyone's running GHz processors and 56K is quaint and we could all seriously kick the crap out of VRML2005 but, like, so where is it? What happened?

[ September 21, 2005, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess would be the essential conservatism of modern society. The internet is domesticated. People don't want 733t sh!tz man yo stuff.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virtual reality turned out to be boring and lame.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We tried making a perfect world but your minds couldn't accept it. So we had to create this world"

to badly paraphrase Agent Smith

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VR always was gonna be lame and always will be until someone can invent some way of directly transfering the signals of the virtual 'world' they've created directly into the player's brain - bypassing the information our real senses give us about the world. Without that you'll always feel like a prat with a big black helmet and some silly gloves on.

Lawnmower Man was the shit, can't really recall the sequel though.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Virtual reality turned out to be boring and lame.

I remember a lot of the old sites (viewed with Mosaic) were simply awful. And just look at the web now... OK. Point taken-- No, but surely things must have improved, standards, technology, design, n'est pas? This isn't a it's-2005-where's-my -hovercar thread. In 1995 I had a plug-in for my browser that let me explore VRML worlds (such as they were) across TEH INTARNET. What happened to that? Why is the latest version of the standard VRML97? Why are half the sites you google 4 years out of date?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marauth:
Lawnmower Man was the shit

That definitive article has no place in that sentence.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a pro-VRML article from only two years ago: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/08/06/x3d.html
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened was people watched "Jurassic Park"-DVD and then saw the truth, VRML kills. Only by the skills of a truly vegetarian computer-whizzette were the heroes saved from the cretaceous menace, whereas a simple folder queue would've let anyone save the day by the force of teh scroll!

What the Internet would look like if fully VRML-realized

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virtual Reality is expensive and time consuming to create and requires a good broadband connection to see.. really, we're just now getting the pieces in place. Look at the online games, like SW Galaxies, Everquest, and World of Warcraft, for example... they are about as VR as the general consumer base can use.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps