Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My college roomie! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My college roomie!
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is from Hungary.

He may be a missionary kid, I don't know. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I really don't know if this is good or bad. I've already emailed the guy.

------------------
"You can stand me up at the Gates of Hell, but I won't back down."- Tom Petty :-)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking as a resident assistant, I offer this: be fully understanding and patient. Your roommate is from Hungary, so the possiblity exists that he may not know English (very well, at least), and he won't understand American customs (or understand what television and movies play them to be). So he will undoubtedly feel awkward and more likely prone to succomb to depression and dropout. Be friendly to him and patient. Explain things to him and be ready to be his most readily accessible source of information. Of course, he may fully understand English and know full well what he's getting into. In that case, nevermind about the above stuff, but still try to be approachable and friendly.

And the above does work. Three of my residents are in the Intensive English Program here. We do have communications problems, but they're happy and functioning (and pulling GPA higher than mine, darn it!).

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What he said.

------------------
Berkoff: "He's threatening to kill me. What should I do?"
Michael: "Don't let him."
- La Femme Nikita

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure you'll do fine together, Bryce.

*looks around to make sure her old roommate isn't somehow in her room right now*

..........better the-roommat-from-Hungary than the-roommate-from-Hell........... *L*

okay. that was a bit offbeat. she wasn't THAT bad. but she watched MARTHA STEWART for pete's sakes!!! did she have to torture me in that manner? *L* i'm rooming with a friend this semester. hopefully we won't kill each other.

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Martha Stewart? She still has that show "Martha Stewart: Living" on? Wow, I need to start watching again to catch up then. Anyway, I do agree with having patience with your room mate. I, myself, was not speaking English very well. But watching TV for a year, esp. cartoons, helped me. Try that.

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

[This message has been edited by Michael_T (edited July 14, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exchange students are cool!

------------------
"And give me back my evil heart so I can see you as you are."
--
John Linnell

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look on it as a chance to learn a little of another lanugage.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, exchange students are very cool particularly if you are able to EXCHANGE your current roommate for a better one. *LOL* bad joke alert. *L*

i've had a rather embarrassing situation with an exchange student, though. last fall i was working in the cafeteria, and there was this guy who talked with a british accent, and i could tell he was an exchange student...b/c there were a few others he hung out with, i guess. i don't remember. anyway..i finally asked him one day if he was from England.

he was from new zealand. *AUGH!!!!!*

I hated working in that cafeteria. *L* and they guy must think i'm REALLY weird now. he always looked at me funny after that.*LOL*

------------------

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if he asks to tour the local nuclear power-plant and spends a lot of time in the treehouse, beware. . .
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, New Zealanders do have an accent similar to that of the British.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

Yes, I know...and I went to Australia and New Zealand a few years back, so I knew that at the time. It was just a horrible embarrassment to not only be serving something disguised as food at the time, but also to ask the guy if he hailed from a country he probably despises for that reason. *L* (no offense, all you englishmen ;-)

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*had a German exchange student as a roomate last year*

Exchange students are great fun. The sad part is, twenty years from now this guy's only memory of Canada is likely to be me.

May God have mercy on his soul...

------------------
"They don�t call it show business for nothing. This is an ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly town in many, many ways. But big f*cking deal. Big business is ugly. The world is ugly. Our job is to make our little piece of it better. Whenever you get into the general, it�s not going to be all beer and Skittles and Christmas trees."
-Ira Stephen Behr on the Moore fiasco

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*envies Jedi Weyoun her trip*

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*confused* It might just be me, but I think that us Brits and the New Zealanders sound nothing alike. Does anyone want to tell me that I'm crazy or am I right?

------------------
Do business with us, or we'll ruin you.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No we Australians and them 'Kiwis' sound more alike than either of us do compared to the English - plus there are a lot of sub accents in England like cockney??

oh well anyway - NZ's sound like us except their i's sound like our u's for example they say Fush and Chups - we say Fish and Chips (i'm typing phonetically here people) *grin* or as a NZ'r would say *grun* j/k's

Andyroo

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps