Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I just killed a cat. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I just killed a cat.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Australia - there is a BIG Feral Cat problem - outside cats that get out and then go bush. Especially if they aren't spayed/neutered.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Ahh, I never thought of that. And I do agree that "purebred" breeding of pets is silly and pointless and vain. But then, every single feline pet I've had contact with has been a common American shorthair, and an adopted stray at that. (Either directly brought in, or picked up from a shelter.)

We have a common Icelandic shorthair - that is a stray we picked up while we lived in Keflavik. Like many of the cats there she's black and white with a thick, but short, coat. They live feral there in small numbers, limited more by food than the weather I think.

By the way - the neighbor has been keeping the surviving kitten home, but she was out last night again. We'll see, we've decided if she turns up over here like before we'll see if they are willing to let us have her. We're moving soon anyhow.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I Australia - there is a BIG Feral Cat problem - outside cats that get out and then go bush. Especially if they aren't spayed/neutered.

What I mean is that desexed cats get out and go into the bush and become feral and eat native wildlife.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

We're having the same problem....with anacondas.
I shit you not.
Anacondas let loose by their former owners are breeding in the wild and are eating native species- someone's siamese cat last week, a 6' aligator in the everglades the month prior.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the story about the python a week or two ago that tried eating an alligator, ended up biting off more than it could chew swallow.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see that in some areas it might be more of a problem, but here in Fremont (a large but spread-out city on the east side of San Francisco Bay) my family has two cats, (both adopted from a shelter) who are allowed in and out of doors as they please. We've had one for nearly 6 years now, and the other about a year, and neither have had any significant problems in this lifestyle. They are fairly intelligent creatures and know not to get into situations they can't get out of. I couldn't imagine keeping them locked up inside. It goes very much against their nature.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does not, that's a myth. In fact, one of the best and most cuddly/adaptable house cats nowadays is the Bengal, which is a cross between a normal domesticated cat and an Asian fecking Leopard cat. Also, good with children.

The "excercise"-card doesn't work either, I know plenty of overweight cats that get let out by their owners and don't lose weight at all by being outdoors, the only thing that helps them is diet change.

There are plenty of dangers to a cat nowadays, from leukemia to kidney failure to the cat cold, without having to add to it with cars, sadists and snakes. Yes, even Sweden has snake. We have only one kind but it is lethal to pets.

I let my cat out on the balcony when I'm there to supervise but I only get him outside when we go out to our countryside house.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living in "the sticks" that I do, my cat is hardly ever inside during the warm months. She's perfectly content to stay outdoors. She's also very capable of defending herself against other cats or small animals of the same size. The road we live on is very low traffic, so we don't really have to worry about that. Back at our old house in a subdivision we had cats, and we also let them out, with no problems at all. Well, aside from complaints from neighbours about them mucking about in gardens, that is.

My cat has been fixed, yes. She's just about the healthiest cat I've ever seen; she's very slim but she eats like a pig. A friend of mine has a fixed indoor car and the thing is huge. Mind you he lives in the city so I definately wouldn't reccommend him letting her out.

I guess what I'm trying to get across here is that in cities and the like its not a good idea to let cats outside unattended. Seeing as how I come from a sparsely populated rural area I personally believe keeping cats indoors is a tad bit cruel, unless the circumstances require it. For instance, I definately wouldn't let a declawed cat outdoors on its own.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I wouldn't let the concept of "declawing" remain an unpunished practice, it's like cutting off a human finger at the last joint. The US has a way to go yet as to ethical pet-care legislation. Hell, even Australia has gotten further.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all of us in North America are from the US, you know.

And, just to be clear, I'm not saying I approve of the procedure of declawing a cat, just that my friend's cat has had the procedure done.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
Member # 205

Of course, I just pounced at the subject. As I said, I blame outdated legislation and a hampered animal rights movement.
And I agree with your sentiment; I sure wouldn't let a declawed cat out of the house.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shortly after moving our family from Ontario, my dad spilled some antifreeze on the ground and our persian cat Billy got into it. I was five at the time, and he told me that he's simply run away. He finally got around to telling me when I was 20. Eesh.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I loved the story about the python a week or two ago that tried eating an alligator, ended up biting off more than it could chew swallow.

Yeah, I've been all over that area where the snake...er...exploded.
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Not all of us in North America are from the US, you know.

And, just to be clear, I'm not saying I approve of the procedure of declawing a cat, just that my friend's cat has had the procedure done.

My grandma's cat is declawed in it's fore-paws, but still has it's rear set for traction (I guess, that's why, anyhow).
Not like the gaint mutant needs them- it's a Hemmingway cat- six toes and 15 pounds without being fat.
Fucking beast.
Anyway, the point is, I can see de-clawwing a cat to save from it destroying everyything iwth it's claws.
I thought of getting a cat, but between all the breakable models I have on display, and my tendency to split town for a few days with no notice (sometimes Vegas just calls), it would be a bad idea.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps