Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Bond. James Bond. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bond. James Bond.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they have to go with Soviets- Goldeneye did a great job of bringing Bond into the post- Soviet era, but modern bad-guys just....suck.
Today, everyone's in it for money or they are fanatics.

At least the Soviets could be in it for Bond's own reasons- patriotism, hot chicks, cool gadgets and the chance to remnorselessly kill someone that gets in your way....and make a witty quip about it after.

Plus, if they set the movie back in the 60's, they can use Felix Lighter (bond's old pal from the CIA in Connery's run). I thought he was a cool supporting character.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix Leiter was used all the way up until 1989. See http://us.imdb.com/Find?select=Characters&for=felix+leiter&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go.

During Brosnan's run, I swear that the guy played by Joe Don Baker (big guy, cowboy hat) was the new Felix, but I guess not. His character's name was Jack Wade. But he did seem to be playing the same role as Felix. (Interesting that he also played one of the Bond bad guys in "The Living Daylights".)

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MITCHELL!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless you, sir.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked seeing Mr. Blonde in Die Another Day.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
he did seem to be playing the same role as Felix. (Interesting that he also played one of the Bond bad guys in "The Living Daylights".)
That was one of the stupidest things the Bond administration ever did. Not to mention introducing a "comic relief" character 90% into the movie, like anyone laughs at "Jimbo instead of James" wisecracks except children and the elderly.

Funny also, back in 1981 when Roger Moore kicked a bad guy's car off a cliff in "For your eyes only", people thought he was cruel and deliberate in his use of his "license to kill", and again in "Spy who loved me" when he emptied a whole clip into an unarmed Stromberg.

Nowadays that debate is all gone and people cheer when Brosnan puts a helpless media mogul under a large drilling crown to slowly turn him into roast beef. Classy.
Halle Berry's contribution was even worse, shooting a doctor in the face and joking about it, then stabbing a girl in the chest with a broadsword and calling her "bitch" during her enemy's last, terrified and blood-gurgling breaths. Who's the bad guy again??

I hope this new Bond restores some dignity to the franchise, like most people seem to think Nolan did to Batman.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it wasn't the first example of re-using actors. Charles Gray appeared as a British agent in You Only Live Twice, and again two films later as Blofeld in Diamonds Are Forever. Maud Adams appeared as erstwhile Scaramanga babe in The Man with the Golden Gun, and as main love interest in Octopussy. Gray's first role is eminently forgetable, so seeing him in the second is excusable; but Adams shagged Bond in each role!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright. I still maintain, though, that Joedon Baker was a stupid character in both incarnations.
He wasn't even BadGuy enough to get properly killed by Dalton, he just made some statue fall on him or something. For all we know, Jedi Baker was put under the influence of mind-altering drugs and made to work for the good guys. Gasp! Sometimes I impress at least myself!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Anything with JoDon Baker is bound to be great...er crap!.

CRAP I SAY!

(ahem)

I've only sat through one of the Dalton movies, but it was bad.
Not quite as horrible as Moonraker (the Threshold of Bond movies) but bad.

Drug dealers with a pet Great white shark that bites off the legs of Bond's pal?
Yeaaaah....that's bad.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Licence to Kill (the film you refer to) had Wayne Newton, so it can't be all bad!

Seriously, The Living Daylights is the better of the two Dalton films; Licence to Kill was too ludicrous to be really good (though that tanker chase was great).

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know which is which, but Dalton's first one had been written for Moore, or so I read on the internet.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
But Licence to Kill (the film you refer to) had Wayne Newton, so it can't be all bad!

Seriously, The Living Daylights is the better of the two Dalton films; Licence to Kill was too ludicrous to be really good (though that tanker chase was great).

As I recall, Bond's D.E.A agent pal is getting married (to a typical Bond-ish super babe), drug dealers crash the party, feed his legs to a Great white shark that is in a nearby tank, his new bride gets killed, Bond goes all out for revenge in a bad Chuck Norris imitation and then...the movie ends with Bond shaking hands with his hospitalized and VERY UPBEAT, now-crippled widower pal.
Mabye it's the unending I.V. of morphine his pal will subsist on for the rest of his diminished, traumatized life that keeps him so Ned Flanders chipper.

Yet....it's still nowhere near as bad as Moonraker. I cant even laugh at that....thing.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Joe Don Baker was in Edge of Darkness. OK, he was annoying and crap in it, but I dispute the contention that anything he's in is crap by association.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Allright- even bad actors can be in good movies.
Fuck, Halle Berry won an Oscar!

Go rent the MST3K episode Mitchell!
Holy crap, you'll pee yourself laughing.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

I still rank "Never say never again" as a Bond movie and that takes the top slot for worst Bond-movie, for me. Watching a grey-haired Connery push his face onto Kim Basinger's on that dance floor, with Connery wearing starched senior citizen's pants and suspenders, that was the shark jump.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps