Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Stumbling back to life (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stumbling back to life
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch.

Glad to see that you are back. So when was this?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crohn's disease. Sounds like that guy from "Hellboy". Did the doctors find sawdust in your veins and keys inserted in your spine? Did th3y say your comicphilia has gone on long enough? Did Frank Miller come to your bedside in a vision, lay a hand on your shoulder and say "That'll do, pig, that'll do..."?

Oh god just j/k:ing, and I'm glad it was something treatable and physical and not something of the mind, like anorexia or so.

Be well, John Spartan.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the visual reguards to cellular cohesion and X-men! [Smile] I mean I'm sure you didn't but - it was very visual!

I was also thinking where else have see seen that line used "losing cellular cohesion" - was it ST:TMP? The transporter accident? Sorry Peregrinus - not saying that you are like Xon. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back to the land of the living. Again. Now we would all be very charmed if you could please refrain from trying to almost die a third time. B)

(My list of ways I officially do NOT want to go has just been expanded, I don't mind telling you.)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to help, Cartman. Thanks for the well wishes, all. As most of my friends up here in the Northwest have had the temerity to not stay where I left them in '94, I'm very glad to have a community like this to be a part of.

Oh, and Saltah'na, my Crohn's initially manifested back in February of '96, was diagnosed that July, was managed with nasty drugs at first, then with diet and liefestyle. Best guess is that the fistula formed about five years ago or so. The edema started in the Spring of '04, got really bad that Winter, and was subsiding with new treatment from my new doctor in Vegas. I came up here (Seattle) for a visit last June, and returning edema forced me to stay. By August, my eyesight was going, by September, I was having trouble breathing, and I checked into the hospital the first week of October.

I've been presented as a case study at one GI conference, and I may be fodder for another community's case studies. Hell, I may end up in medical textbooks before this is over. *heh*

So that's the timeline. I'm now up to 144 lbs. for the first time in about five years. I can now run again for the first time in almost two. My blood chemistry is slowly returning to some semblance of normal, which is nice. Only down side is that i miss eating. More specifically, I miss being the billy goat I was back before all this started. I used to be able to eat or drink just about anything. *sigh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow good luck on the recovery. I wondered what crohns desease was.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit confusion. From your description, the big problem was that your stomach became joined directly to your large intestine, thus bypassing most of your digestive tract. What's the reason that they couldn't just cut you open and sever that connection? Seems like that would solve the problem pretty quickly.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the time the fistula was discovered, I weighed about 120 lbs. and my blood protein was still in the toilet. If they'd operated, it's doubtful I would have had the strength/reserves to survive the surgery, and if I did, my tissues were so compromised they wouldn't have been able to hold the sutures.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps