Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Challenger (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Challenger
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15. I can't remember much of the coverage in the UK news, but think I heard about the explosion on John Craven's Newsround! If he was doing it that week, or at all by then.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Nother 12-year-old 6th-grader here. I got to school, walked into my Humanities Block classroom, and one of my classmates said "Did you hear? The space shuttle exploded!" and I said "No it didn't." with as much 'quit-yanking-my-chain' scorn as my shy pseudo-adolescent self could muster.

One of my close friends (who was in 9th grade at the time) was watching the launch live in her U.S. History class. She was a mess for days.

And I punched the first kid who told me the "What does NASA stand for?" joke.

BTW, Saltah'na, as far as "why" -- a young senator named J. Danforth Quayle, who was the head of the senate subcommittee overseeing NASA, decided to go with a different o-ring manufacturer who had been lobbying. See, they could make the o-rings more cheaply by making them in two pieces instead of one. And in the frigid weather that January, they shrank, and gapped, and one of them leaked when the fuel burned high enough to reach it, effectively turning a blowtorch onto the external tank. There were a lot of mistakes and errors of judgement, but for pity's sake, the guy with oversight over NASA NEEDS to be a rocket scientist!

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Additional: I'm still pissed about being born too late to have been there for Gemini and Apollo -- or even Skylab. I was born the day after Nixon was pardoned.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry I missed that era, too. Although the undertones of the Cold War at its height I could do without.

I was born 16 days before Nixon's resignation (July 23, 1974). My mom was on leave from her job as a writer at the Washington Post. (I think it was the Post. Still significant even if it was another paper.) She said (jokingly, of course) that my birth made her miss the final days of the Watergate scandal.

B.J.

steve12553
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a full grown adult of 33 when it happened. Someone called and said there'd been and accident and I popped in a tape and recorded the first replay. I was stunned. I didn't much care for the shuttle. I thought it was a big glider. The cold war, if nothing else gave us inspiration to compete in space. (We had to beat those "commie" bastards to the moon). The Challeger tragedy aside from the obvious human loss, slow the impetus to "Boldly Go" into space. It was slowing already but Challenger gave people an excuse to spend money here on earth where "it will do some good". Guess it must have done a great deal of good because we obviously have no more poverty, crime, predjudice or anything else bad, right?
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's the kind of spurious dichotomizing that leads to sound policy.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps