Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Find New Worlds? Ten Places to look!

Author Topic: Find New Worlds? Ten Places to look!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://space.com/scienceastronomy/060221_habstars.html

Astronomer Margaret Turnbull has determined a list of ten stars around which efforts should be concentrated to find Earth-like planets. There are five stars each for the new SETI radio telescope search plan, and then the Terrestrical Planet Finder, which is currently on hold. Where should you be looking? How about here, from an exerpt:

SETI stars

Turnbull’s top habstar candidates for the Allen Telescope Survey:

Beta Canum Venaticorum: a Sun-like star about 26 light years away in the constellation Canes Venatici. This was Turnbull’s top choice for SETI.
HD 10307: a near replica of the Sun but with a companion star. Located about 42 light-years away, this star has almost the same mass, temperature and metal-content as the Sun.
HD 211415: has about half the metal content of the Sun and is a little cooler; just slightly farther away than HD 10307.
18 Sco: a near-identical twin of the Sun, located in the constellation Scorpio.
51 Pegasus: The first planet beyond our solar system was detected around this star in 1995. Although that planet was a gas giant, Turnbull thinks 51 Pegasus could harbor rocky planets as well.

All of these stars have already been surveyed by SETI’s Project Phoenix in the past without success, but the Allen Telescope Array will have up to five times Project Phoenix’s frequency range, making it more likely that a habitable planet around these stars will be detected if one exists.

TPF stars

For the TPF mission, Turnbull chose the following five stars:
Epsilon Indi A: Turnbull’s top TPF mission choice; this star is only about one-tenth as bright as the Sun and about 11.8 light-years away in the constellation Indus.
Epsilon Eridani: This star is a bit smaller and cooler than our Sun; it is located about 10.5 light-years away in the constellation Eridanus.
Omicron2 Eridani: A yellow-orange star about 16 light-years away that is roughly the same age as our Sun.
Alpha Centauri B: This triple star system is located just 4.35 light-years away and one of the Sun’s closest stellar neighbors.
Tau Ceti: This star is a G-class star and is in the same brightness category as the Sun. Despite being relatively metal-poor, it is long-lived enough for complex life forms to evolve.

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, she wants the TPF to look for Andorians, Vulcans, and perhaps the Great Machine...
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vulcan's star(s) wasn't mentioned.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a star called 18 Sco? There's a golfing joke in there somewhere, I know it. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

DoughBoy05
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for DoughBoy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omicron2 Eridan is also known as 40 Eridani....supossedly the home star to the Vulcans

--------------------
"Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Everybody else does."

"It's pretty obvious, isn't it?"

The Doctor and Sgt. Benton, in "The Three Doctors"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. Didn't know that. Why the dual designation?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's nobody's business but the Turks.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

DoughBoy05
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for DoughBoy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also known as "Keid" too

--------------------
"Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Everybody else does."

"It's pretty obvious, isn't it?"

The Doctor and Sgt. Benton, in "The Three Doctors"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I'm not talking about the difference between name and catalogue designation. I'm talking about why one star would be listed as both '40 Eridani' and 'Omicron2 Eridani'. Omicron is only the fifteenth letter in the Greek alphabet.

And just to pick an even finer nit, 'Alpha Centauri B' is not a ternary system. 'Alpha Centauri' is. I'm curious as to why 'B' was the one she indicated. 'A' is a G2 or G3 yellow sun very much like ours, but 'B' is orange (about a K0, if I remember correctly). And just to cap it off, Alpha Centauri C -- or 'Proxima Centauri' -- is the nearest actual sun to ours at only 4.33LY. At least, that is, until it swings back around behind A and B in its orbit. [Smile]

--Jonah (Geek? Moi?)

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frustratingly (although perhaps not unexpectedly), over the centuries there have been several stellar catalogues which use differing criterion for their naming system of choice. And so depending on binary, trinary, variability, etc. one star may have several different designations. "Keid" would be the Arabic name dating from the middle ages (which means egg shells, btw), "Omicron2 Eridani" would be the Greek Letter Name assigned by that grand kraut Johannes Bayer (based on the constellation and apparent brightness) and "40 Eridani" would be the Flamsteed number which is based on the star's position (right ascension & declination) within the constellation boundary. Which isn't even getting into the more recent (and comprehensive) star catalogues the cross referencing of which is a science of itself. The HD numbers mentioned in the original post refer to the Henry Draper memorial catalogue.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't this mess what the new general catalouge was set up to sort out? Or is that just for nebulae and stuff?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/history/deepskyd.html
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's more everybody deciding that their system is better than anybody elses and publishing it. Fecking astronomers.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I've always been happy with the old Arabic names (where available), supplemented by the latin names (mostly S. hemisphere), and all referred to by their magnitude within the constellation.

Although it will be tough to "unlearn" the odd well-known name from other lists, like Wolf 359. *heh*

All but a couple of the twenty-five brightest stars that we can see from the Northern Hemisphere have Arabic names. But the twenty-five closest are boring as can be, with catalogue listings (at least five catalogues represented) and a depressing amount of numbers.

Similarly, the first non-stellar catalogue I learned was the Messier catalogue, and I still prefer that to the NGC catalogue. Sorry, but "M-31" is permanently etched on the skin of my brain.

--Jonah

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Incidentally, shouldnt "18 Sco" be "Tau Scorpii"?

--Jonah

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps