Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » New XP/Eplorer bug? (sophisticated freezing) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New XP/Eplorer bug? (sophisticated freezing)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, now, I was stubborn about using Firefox. Especially when Charles did that twatty thing of shouting at people using IE on the main page. But now I use Firefox, and everyone who doesn't is wrong. Use Firefox, or you are an idiot. Anyone who tells you to use Linux or a Mac is an idiot. Contradiciton? Yes, but you are an idiot so it doesn't matter. Go Team Kavanagh!

What's wrong with Firefox's bookmark featues? And surely between the extensions and themes available, Firefox is more flexible than IE?

And as to your other problem, have you tried clearing file caching, going to all of your folders in a mad rampage, restarting and then turning it back on? Because that probably won't do anything, but maybe...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it could be worth a shot, caching sounds like a very potential bottleneck. As long as this isn't a high-risk procedure.
So, how do you disable file caching? I did a search but all the net talked about was Novell software and SWG.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Go Team Kavanagh!

Yes, please go. As far away as you can, and quickly as possible.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grabs arm* Don't do it, Lee! He's the only one who knows the way out. Besides, it wouldn't bring Blanche back and you know it. She knew the risks involved when she signed up. Unlike Debbie here.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debbie Does Niklas?

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Now what the kind of precedent would that set? Romancing lost little girls who've ended up on our forums, out where the buses don't run?

No, less  - and more  -

And on that note, what's this I hear about disabling file caching?

Lee
Member # 393

Mind you, he didn't say disable file caching, he said clearing. Which I presume means clearing out the Temp folder, that sort of thing. And when did you last defrag?

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Did it last month, I was going to today but it said it wasn't necessary.
But what did Liam mean by "clearing file caching /.../ restarting, then turning it back on"?
That sounds more like some HKEY_ROOTS_BLAH thing than your theory of just emptying Temp file buildup. Would that we'd asked him before you pushed him into the mine shaft.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
See, now, I was stubborn about using Firefox. Especially when Charles did that twatty thing of shouting at people using IE on the main page. But now I use Firefox, and everyone who doesn't is wrong.

Oh...My...God....

Psy and I actually AGREE on something. Surely this is the final sign of the apocalyse and Jason is about to be crowned Emperor of the Megaverse. Either that or the entire universe is about to colapse into a singularity the size of Tim.

I have tried Netscape, IE, Opera, and Firefox. I'll take Firefox over any of the others. It appears to be more secure, stable and loads as fast as Opera.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
Either that or the entire universe is about to colapse into a singularity the size of Tim.

So, status quo then? [Big Grin] :ducks:

B.J.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using Firefox for a while now, even without additional themes, extensions, and mods it's an easy to use program, A billion times better than Internet Exploder.

Anyways, the wierd windows bug I experienced happened yesterday. I downloaded a program called Fraps that lets you record video of D3D and OpenGL video games. anyways, It worked once, and the next day I tried to fire it up and it cause Windows to crash. All the icons, and the taskbar disappeared, leaving only my wallpaper. I left it for about 10 minutes to see if it would return to normal, eventually I had to reboot. When I restarted windows it tells me that Fraps has become corrupted. WTF! so I completely uninstalled it, deleted the folder, the install files, and, all the registry entries and tried it again, same thing. I dunno what the hell's wrong with it all of a sudden.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking about that thing where XP remembers the contents of your folders to speed things up. It's called the, er, oh yeah, indexing service.

Now, with this sort of thing there's normally a way of clearing it. Which I can't find. But you can't go far wrong with right clicking on your drive and unticking the "use idexing service" box. Untick the "compress drive" box too, if that's ticked.

After that, you could try doing some of this stuff:
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1404

Something there might be useful.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:

The reason I'm sticking with IE is because I spent an evening trying out FF at a friend's comp and we spent half the time in IE anyway, as many of the sites we visited didn't work properly in FF.
As for sites that don't work properly in Firefox, many swedish university websites weren't built for both IE and Netscape (and in that extension, FF), so fontsizes and borders can get screwed up there.

One problem-site me and my friends often happen upon is for the university of S�dert�rn, http://webappo.web.sh.se/. They've said they are working on improving it, so I don't know if it works better now.

They look pretty much exactly the same to me, despite my overzealously compressed jpeg
comparison

Also, unless you're like the best student ever, I kind of doubt you spend half of your Internet time on Swedish university websites.

Nim
Member # 205

Well Liam, I implemented most of the tips shown on that page you linked to, it seemed to have made the comp more lean and such, especially after disabling all the superflous services in the background. I don't think the hangups happen as frequently either.

Something strange happened in the process though, I can't get thumbnail previews on any of my video files. When I go to my video-directory none of the files (wmv/mov/mpeg/avi) show anything but the company logo. But I do have the folder in "Thumbnail"-mode.

How does one turn "show video-thumbnails" back on?

Also, I think the .mov-files (quicktime right?) never showed thumbnails to begin with, is there any way one could "force" them to show a thumbnail? Any hotfixes roaming the net?

Lee
Member # 393

Can you still play the files OK? Only time I ever saw that was on a new PC, after I'd copied my vidfiles over, but before I installed the codecs.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps