Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Cashless Society? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cashless Society?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of any new forms of currency designed to someday replace paper money and coins. I'm doing a report on it and some help would be appreciated. Can be from any(developed)country.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at all the palstic and pass keys that are coming out. I can not say that those are currency, per se, but cashless they are.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't you about twenty years too late here?

(please do my homework)

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe in Japan they were doing a limited testing of a microchip implant in the back of the hand that held your account balances and such.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a featured article on Wikipedia a while back about a card in Hong Kong that started out as a transit pass IIRC but is now used for everyday purchases and the like.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let there be Whuffie.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called an ATM card. Here I can buy groceries at a supermarket, go to the liquer store and buy a bottle, go to the bar and pay my tab with it, pick up some smokes from the corner store, and pay for my hotel room with it. There is almost nowhere you can't use one here, I hardly ever carry cash anymore.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me neither. Except we call them Debit Cards. And now we're all supposed to use Chip'n'PIN, so it's safer, allegedly. Provided the money's in your account, you're laughing - or I will be, until my wife looks at our statement and finds out I paid �35 for a rare bottle of Laphroaig.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was something on the news a couple of weeks ago about using a fingerprint scanner instead of a credit card, but its essentialy the same I guess - heres a BBC page on it : Shoppers can pay by fingerprint

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The card fraud rate has fallen for the first time in years, so the chip and pin thing seems to be working. Plus, Patrick Stewart is the one who told us to do it, and he has super sexy voice.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Here I can buy groceries at a supermarket, go to the liquer store and buy a bottle, go to the bar and pay my tab with it, pick up some smokes from the corner store, and pay for my hotel room with it."

You still need cash for the hooker, though.

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Japanese seem to still really like the cash & coin, most still pay in cash for everyday items rather than use credit or debit cards though many have plastic too- few use them as compared to Americans. Fewer Japanese are in debt as a result.

There is the plastic with the EM stripe like the credit/debit, the RF tag emplanted in the body, or more commonly in a nice plastic card (works the same without having to be implanted)... there's the "biometrics" Which is a wide ranging term meaning the measuring characteristics of the body such as the fingerprint, the retinal pattern in the eye, or a the exact configuration of the face (that one still is a bit flawed) for identification... *ponders*

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Here I can buy groceries at a supermarket, go to the liquer store and buy a bottle, go to the bar and pay my tab with it, pick up some smokes from the corner store, and pay for my hotel room with it."

You still need cash for the hooker, though.

Just do like Quagmire from Family Guy and swipe it through her cheeks.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read just yesterday on the subway Metro-paper that an (I think) italian club has started with implants, a small pod stuck into your arm, that is rechargeable with money and acts as an ID document, letting VIP customers get in quicker, and pay for drinks by sweeping their forearm over a small device at the bar. 125 euro it costs, with a 100 of that already being in the device for you to drink up.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
until my wife looks at our statement and finds out I paid �35 for a rare bottle of Laphroaig.

Some things are worth getting hell over, maybe if you share it with her, she won't be so mad.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps